Ford Mustang Forums banner
101 - 120 of 131 Posts

· The real white95!
967 Posts
This is a perfect time to shamelessly plug my universal controller.
Universal PSC/NMS-PSC – NMStec
I am a big hater of GPS as it does not have the reputation of being most stable or reliable.

Or if you have a bit of arduino components, I have released this for free online: NMSTEC/Volvo_EPS_FREE (github.com)
Aside from VSS controlling pump speed can this work in conjunction with steering angle, brake pressure, etc?

For $300 it better blow me as well.
$300 is a small price to pay for a properly functioning steering system

· Vendor
19 Posts
Aside from VSS controlling pump speed can this work in conjunction with steering angle, brake pressure, etc?

$300 is a small price to pay for a properly functioning steering system that offers no parasitic drag and a potentially linesr
Revision 3 coming in about a month can. Also added dual canbus for interfacing with various other controllers, including SAS. (SAS mainly for adding pressure in advance, but I find that unless the vehicle is awd, 80-85% load removes any lag). I can also add the brake control logic, but will need assistance in understanding the logic with it.

If you have any ideas you'd like to add to FW, or HW, let me know, and I'd be glad to implement them. Was half thinking of adding the joke "BJ" option in there already.

Actually I made a mistake, I meant to set to $300 CAD not USD. It's been fixed now.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Has anyone ran a rack and a hydroboost setup off a volvo pump?
Yes, it has been done. Without a controller for pump pressure (pump defaults to 75%) I have read that the pump does fine in normal conditions, but can struggle to provide enough pressure during lots of steering input. With a controller turned all the way up during high steering input, it should do just fine.

· Vendor
19 Posts
Yes, it has been done. Without a controller for pump pressure (pump defaults to 75%) I have read that the pump does fine in normal conditions, but can struggle to provide enough pressure during lots of steering input. With a controller turned all the way up during high steering input, it should do just fine.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Slope

In about a months time we can test out one of multiple ways to see if we can compensate for that. Either a noticeable pressure drop can auto-bump up the pump speed, or we can connect to a SAS if customer has one (canbus or one of those old POT style), and bump up the pump upon any significant inputs.

Temp inputs are a mappable offset if the temp of fluid causes numbness in the steering feel.

· Registered
10,375 Posts
In about a months time we can test out one of multiple ways to see if we can compensate for that. Either a noticeable pressure drop can auto-bump up the pump speed, or we can connect to a SAS if customer has one (canbus or one of those old POT style), and bump up the pump upon any significant inputs.

Temp inputs are a mappable offset if the temp of fluid causes numbness in the steering feel.
Can you use a PWM input to take a signal from an aftermarket ECU? Would be pretty easy to build a duty cycle curve based on vehicle speed in the ECU to output a duty cycle to the controller to help manage that.

Of course it doesn't help with folks running an OEM computer like an A9x, or a FordRacing Control pack

· Vendor
19 Posts
Can you use a PWM input to take a signal from an aftermarket ECU? Would be pretty easy to build a duty cycle curve based on vehicle speed in the ECU to output a duty cycle to the controller to help manage that.

Of course it doesn't help with folks running an OEM computer like an A9x, or a FordRacing Control pack
Yes sir! Already have that long ago implemented, and its based on a map. If you go to my website, theres screenshots of the features.
Here's two videos demonstrating that:
1. Emulating a ECU with a signal generator:

2. Rob Dahm using my unit doing exactly what you're asking about via haltech.

Also the arduino code I released for the volvo pumps is basically just that.

As an additional bonus, I have two outputs. So if your ECU doesn't support VR sensor inputs, you can directly route it into my module, set up a VSS map, and set one of the outputs to frequency output. Now your ECU can get a VSS signal through controller.

As for OEM users, it does still work! If theres a canbus message with VSS already on it, you can set that in my controller, and it will happily sniff the bus for that data!

· Registered
2,042 Posts
Not to take away from these great products but at this point if the CAN has been recorded, is anyone talking to the pump directly from their ECU (IE MS3)

· Vendor
19 Posts
Not to take away from these great products but at this point if the CAN has been recorded, is anyone talking to the pump directly from their ECU (IE MS3)
Rusefi does!

As time goes on and more of my controllers sell, I will start releasing the canbus solutions to the most common systems. BRZ/frs/gt86, prius, and the GM Vue/saturns

· Registered
1979 Capri, 1971 351 HO [Boss 351] Cleveland
12 Posts
I joined this board specifically due to this fantastic thread. :) Thanks to you gents for the cordial, relevant, and constructive dialog!

After looking around the web I found some cool CAN bus hacks using cheap arduino/raspberry solutions using the MCP2515; they are dirt cheap on Amazon (~$4 ea) and radically cheaper on alibaba (if you don't mind the wait) here is the link to those, if you wanna play around with them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087Z9KBXR

Then I found this awesome thread and will probably experiment with both solutions listed above!

In my case, the application is a lot heavier, so I am a little concerned about capacity, the hard lines suggestion above is a very good one.

I am looking at the 2017-2020 Nissan Pathfinder unit because the Pathfinder is a 5,000 pound SUV (empty) and I figure the steering has got to be heavier than the little V50 Volvo.
Have either aqua_life pr NMstec played around with that Pathfinder unit?
< edit: I see you have the Nissan Altima & Murano listed.. their pumps look very similar to the Pathfinder pump, can you confirm?>

[for the record, I was a long time Fox owner/hacker. Who'd a thought a Cleveland would fit between those fenders!]

· Registered
12 Posts
Revision 3 coming in about a month can. Also added dual canbus for interfacing with various other controllers, including SAS. (SAS mainly for adding pressure in advance, but I find that unless the vehicle is awd, 80-85% load removes any lag). I can also add the brake control logic, but will need assistance in understanding the logic with it.

If you have any ideas you'd like to add to FW, or HW, let me know, and I'd be glad to implement them. Was half thinking of adding the joke "BJ" option in there already.

Actually I made a mistake, I meant to set to $300 CAD not USD. It's been fixed now.
Man.. I found you guys just at the right time! :)

If you can (haha.. get it?) also get the iBooster working with your controller (or with another one) that would be great. I am converting from hydraulic to iBooster (Honda/Tesla) and CAN input could be useful.

· Vendor
19 Posts
I joined this board specifically due to this fantastic thread. :) Thanks to you gents for the cordial, relevant, and constructive dialog!

After looking around the web I found some cool CAN bus hacks using cheap arduino/raspberry solutions using the MCP2515; they are dirt cheap on Amazon (~$4 ea) and radically cheaper on alibaba (if you don't mind the wait) here is the link to those, if you wanna play around with them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087Z9KBXR

Then I found this awesome thread and will probably experiment with both solutions listed above!

In my case, the application is a lot heavier, so I am a little concerned about capacity, the hard lines suggestion above is a very good one.

I am looking at the 2017-2020 Nissan Pathfinder unit because the Pathfinder is a 5,000 pound SUV (empty) and I figure the steering has got to be heavier than the little V50 Volvo.
Have either aqua_life pr NMstec played around with that Pathfinder unit?
< edit: I see you have the Nissan Altima & Murano listed.. their pumps look very similar to the Pathfinder pump, can you confirm?>

[for the record, I was a long time Fox owner/hacker. Who'd a thought a Cleveland would fit between those fenders!]
Hey, I support Nissan 2014-2018 already, theoretically the pathfinder should be the same. I will see if I can get a hold of that car and rent it for reverse engineering.

iBooster I actually am working on it, but for separate project. Don't see why I can't support the Gen 1. Have a few vehicles here already with them. That however will be a one-off firmware for you specifically as I don't particularly want to publicly sell anything relating to brakes due to safety.

From what I can tell, pathfinder and Altima still have nearly the exact same pump, so I'd doubt it would be more powerful. Volvo & Mazda pumps are rated for 1300psi before internal bypass kicks in. I do believe it should still be plenty.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hey, I support Nissan 2014-2018 already, theoretically the pathfinder should be the same. I will see if I can get a hold of that car and rent it for reverse engineering.

iBooster I actually am working on it, but for separate project. Don't see why I can't support the Gen 1. Have a few vehicles here already with them. That however will be a one-off firmware for you specifically as I don't particularly want to publicly sell anything relating to brakes due to safety.

From what I can tell, pathfinder and Altima still have nearly the exact same pump, so I'd doubt it would be more powerful. Volvo & Mazda pumps are rated for 1300psi before internal bypass kicks in. I do believe it should still be plenty.
Awesome :)

Having worked with all of these, can you speak to the power/volume of the Nissan pump vs. the FoMoCo (Volvo) pump?

Just a headsup: Its a Gen 2 iBooster, not a Gen 1. I understand the whole brakes and *Not for Highway Use/Off-road use only thing. That said, the nice thing about the iBooster is that it can 100% fail and you still have access to the brakes (just press HARD :p)

· Vendor
19 Posts
Awesome :)

Having worked with all of these, can you speak to the power/volume of the Nissan pump vs. the FoMoCo (Volvo) pump?

Just a headsup: Its a Gen 2 iBooster, not a Gen 1.
Its more of a subjective topic, because depending on the application the feel changes. I would still give the win to the Ford family of pumps, but that is simply my opinion with no facts to back this up short of personal experience. If you're worried about having not enough feel, and have the time, I'd recommend running an EHPAS and a column mount EPAS together. I support running dual systems at the same time in theory with revision 3.

Regarding the iBooster, what is the feature set you're looking from it?

· Registered
12 Posts
Its more of a subjective topic, because depending on the application the feel changes. I would still give the win to the Ford family of pumps, but that is simply my opinion with no facts to back this up short of personal experience. If you're worried about having not enough feel, and have the time, I'd recommend running an EHPAS and a column mount EPAS together. I support running dual systems at the same time in theory with revision 3.

Regarding the iBooster, what is the feature set you're looking from it?
My application for the steering pump is not a mustang, it is heavier and takes more effort to turn the wheels.. hence my question about which pump can flow more volume :) I suppose if they are equal in volume, then response time would be the next determinator.
Do you have practical experience with both pumps such that you have an informed opinion?

using your system, you could use an open hose and a couple buckets (in/out) to measure the flow of the FoMoCo and the Nissan :p I am likely buying your unit, just for the flexibility it provides (and the fact that my time is being consumed on the physical hardware work :) but you'd for *double-sure make the sale if you could get us some pump flow rates (at 100%). :)))

*note to those who've not experienced this: electric pumps (pumps in general) do not really make "pressure", they make volume.. it is up to the 'output orifice' to cause pressure)

Regarding the iBooster Gen2, the application is the same vehicle. I am not really looking for any special features beyond the same "override failsafe mode" effect of your "I CAN has brakes" unit :)

· Vendor
19 Posts
My application for the steering pump is not a mustang, it is heavier and takes more effort to turn the wheels.. hence my question about which pump can flow more volume :) I suppose if they are equal in volume, then response time would be the next determinator.
Do you have practical experience with both pumps such that you have an informed opinion?

using your system, you could use an open hose and a couple buckets (in/out) to measure the flow of the FoMoCo and the Nissan :p I am likely buying your unit, just for the flexibility it provides (and the fact that my time is being consumed on the physical hardware work :) but you'd for *double-sure make the sale if you could get us some pump flow rates (at 100%). :)))

*note to those who've not experienced this: electric pumps (pumps in general) do not really make "pressure", they make volume.. it is up to the 'output orifice' to cause pressure)

Regarding the iBooster Gen2, the application is the same vehicle. I am not really looking for any special features beyond the same "override failsafe mode" effect of your "I CAN has brakes" unit :)
Hey,
I will be testing the flow sometime next week, and I'll get back to you on that.

I am actually replying now because I've found a decent sized issue with the honda iBoosters gen 2. They require a fingerprint ID. I have figured how to extract it from the host car, however have not figured out how its encoded (Replaying it works fine, just can't figure out if its VIN based or what), or how to extract it from the booster itself. I am starting to rip into the actual guts of the booster and see if I can just upload a patched version of its FW that doesn't require an ID.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hey,
I will be testing the flow sometime next week, and I'll get back to you on that.

I am actually replying now because I've found a decent sized issue with the honda iBoosters gen 2. They require a fingerprint ID. I have figured how to extract it from the host car, however have not figured out how its encoded (Replaying it works fine, just can't figure out if its VIN based or what), or how to extract it from the booster itself. I am starting to rip into the actual guts of the booster and see if I can just upload a patched version of its FW that doesn't require an ID.
Any updates on these efforts?? Inquiring minds want to know :-D

101 - 120 of 131 Posts