Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The last few days my car has felt kind of sluggish. So yesterday when I got home I popped the hood and looked around. To my horror I spotted oil on the inlet tube, supercharger, and front passenger's side of the engine. So today I decided to try and figure out what it was.

First thing I did was take some degreaser and remove every bit of oil from the engine bay. There was a lot under the engine (gravity)... so after I cleaned all the oil off I checked the oil level. It was at MAX on the dipstick. I thought I had put too much oil in a week earlier, because I got the low oil light while parked on a hill. So I didn't really check the oil and added what I had left from my last oil change... 3/4qt. Over the next few days the car felt sluggish and a friend said my car made a puff of blue smoke under hard accelleration.

Next I took off the inlet pipe, throttle body, etc... and checked for any oil there, none. I also checked the spark plugs for oil... also none. I thought maybe all the oil it needed to get rid of was gone so I went for a test drive, getting in boost 2 or 3 times. I got home and it was covered in oil again, in the same places as before.

I then cleaned everything again and drained about a quart of oil. Started the car and had a low oil light, I added a bit until the light went away. Off to test drive it again. This time I got into boost once and then came to a stop and popped the hood. What do you know just a bit of oil sprayed on the supercharger and inlet pipe. I wiped it off and drove a bit longer making sure I didn't get into boost at all.

I got home and popped the hood, no oil what-so-ever.

This makes me think that oil is somehow getting out of the supercharger under boost... since I can not get the oil leak to happen in a controlled environment... like on jack stands and reving the engine. Also any driving not under boost will not cause the leak. Both the oil return and oil feed lines are dry, no leaking or cracks.

Is it possible for the supercharger to lose oil under boost and where would it come from?!?!, since the return and feed lines are not the culprit?

Or do you think it's something not related to the supercharger.
BTW :: Then engine idles and drives just fine, no knocking, no surging, and no smoke.

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot,
-Peter :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also boost and fuel pressure gauges seem to read correctly under boost.
-Peter

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh well I guess the only way to figure it out is to get the car in the air. Use ramps for the front and jack stands in the back and see where the oil is coming from under load... I'm starting to hate oil... first my belt breaks and takes out my return hose and now I have no idea what's going on... argh :mad:
-Peter

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
when you put the new return in, was it the same as before? maybe the oil is 'backing up'.
The other common cause is a worn seal on the balancer. oil comes out and gets thrown all over by the spinning balancer, usually toward the passenger side.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hose I got was direct from Vortech... no rigging the line. It came from Vortech will all the fittings etc... Just bolted it right in.

Yeah the passanger's side is covered... how would I check the balancer?
-Peter

PS:: Wow a reply, corral is usefull for more than just which exhaust sounds better... ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts