Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I’ve been patient, but it’s definitely been worth the wait. :joy: Finally got the car dyno tuned this morning.

Thanks to everyone for their help, Keith @ FOMPK Motorsports (Tangg96), Willie Figueroa @ DiabloSport , Eric and Bob (Boss96). EDITED POST 5/12 PM - How could I have forgotten to thank my old man too (ASPWIPE) :eek:

Since the car is still my daily driver, I was looking for a nice “fuel rich” conservative tune. With a solid 10:1 fuel curve and six pounds of boost, my car made 397 rwhp / 349 rwtq (SAE). I know the car could have made more power, but I didn’t want it pushed too far. I can always get a little more aggressive down the road and go with a power pipe, larger mass air meter, msd, injectors, etc. In the meantime, I’ll have to see what kind of numbers I can put down at the track with the new combo. :)

As far as driving impressions go, I was quite surprised how strong 400 horses feels. I know it’s still to early for me to say this (because I haven’t broken anything yet), but I only wish that I had gone with the blower sooner. :D

Brian

·
Registered
568 Posts
10:1, damn dude!! That is VERY rich. You could lean that out to about 11-11.5:1 and still be very safe.

·
Registered
564 Posts
He does'nt have cats, look at the sig. The 10-1 a/f I saw, it should lean out on the street though. I was surprised to see on another cobra, but with a procharger, had the same a/f at first, when it was leaned out to 11-1 or so it did'nt really gain much power, maybe 2-3hp. Pretty surprising.
Still, considering it is running stock boost from vortech Brian made very good power. Pretty soon I'll be convincing him to put the 2.87 pullie and upgraded impeller on the car :)
Bob

·
US Army Active Duty
34 Posts
Nice numbers Brian. I bet that thing pulls like a clydesdale.:)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Man, those are some GREAT #'s for only 6psi. CONGRATS!

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Isn't the stock pulley worth 8-9psi?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Fourcam281 said:
Isn't the stock pulley worth 8-9psi?
The stock pulley is good for 6-8 PSI of boost, depending on:

A.) How high you spin the crank.
B.) Weather conditions.

With good weather and a solid 6900 RPM shift, you can easily hit 8 PSI. With hot, humid weather and a solid RPM shift, boost may be around 6.5-7.0 PSI.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Guys, keep in mind that the name of the game is to make the the most power with:

1.) The least amount of boost
2.) A conservative tune

For an A/F ratio of 10:1 and only 6 PSI, 400 rwHP is awesome. Assuming the timing is conservative, this motor will last forever.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Nice numbers Brian! You and I are of the same frame of mind... conservative. Yeah, it would be nice to have 450-500rwhp, but the fun in shifting at 6900rpms would be somewhat overshadowed by my fear of the seeing melted pistons. When I get the beast paid off, I hope to slap on an intercooled blower with only 8lbs of boost. Don't think this engine can take much more than that, seeing as how it has already seen a Vortech and 11.87's in Florida.

Once again, great numbers for your combo and goal. Go eat some Z06's now!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jahel'98COBRA said:

B.) Weather conditions.

With good weather and a solid 6900 RPM shift, you can easily hit 8 PSI. With hot, humid weather and a solid RPM shift, boost may be around 6.5-7.0 PSI.
How do weather conditions affect manifold pressure? If anything barometric pressure will affect it.

This is why people saying how much "psi" they are boosting with a supercharger is so worthless. It varies from car to car. Put a bigger exhaust on your car and OMG...your boost gauge shows less boost. Advertised numbers of "boost" on any specific pully are just that "advertised numbers". You WANT to run the least amount of boost as possible. How is this possible...have a good breathing engine.

Sebastian

·
Registered
234 Posts
Great numbers...that's the kind of power I'll be shooting for...safe tune for me as well...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Great numbers. Hope you do well at the track.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sebastian said:

How do weather conditions affect manifold pressure? If anything barometric pressure will affect it.

Sebastian
Temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure will determine density altitude, which in turn will affect how much boost the blower spits out for a given pulley size and a given RPM.

The air is much denser in colder weather, providing for a slight increase in boost.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Jahel'98COBRA said:

B.) Weather conditions.

It may be different on a Cobra but my GT saw 11lbs of boost at 6400RPM! I am now running the 3.33 pulley with the addition of a aftercooler(usually causes 1-2lbs of lost boost, IMO) and I am seeing 12.5lbs at 6400RPM. My a/f ratio is a 11.8-12.0 the whole time I am under boost, and I feel that this is very conservative. Later Ron

·
Registered
109 Posts
primetime said:

It may be different on a Cobra but my GT saw 11lbs of boost at 6400RPM! I am now running the 3.33 pulley with the addition of a aftercooler(usually causes 1-2lbs of lost boost, IMO) and I am seeing 12.5lbs at 6400RPM. My a/f ratio is a 11.8-12.0 the whole time I am under boost, and I feel that this is very conservative. Later Ron
It'll be different on every car depending on what's done with the car. Boost is simply a measure of what your engine can't breath in on it's own.

Sebastian

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, thanks for all of the responses.

I was a little concerned at first about the 10:1 being a little TOO rich. I noticed on the four dyno pulls, the car was spewing some black smoke, albeit a little less on the last pull. However, when I took the car out on the street, I didn't notice as much. Like Bob was saying, the car should run leaner on the street than on the dyno. We also dyno'd the car in some pretty warm temperatures, so it will probably lean out even a little more with some cooler (night) weather. Overall, I couldn't be happier with the end result. I had made up my mind prior to the install that all I was really looking for was 400 rear wheel. Well, like I said, I've got a little room to grow now.

Bob, maybe you can come by later and we can put that alternator pulley on, forget the 2.87! :lol:

Thanks for everyone's input over the past six to eight months, I know I've PM'd / emailed many of you guys (Dave, Jahel, Patrick, Jared, Mike, etc).

Jahel, probably some of the best advice you offered to me was getting the shift light, man I can't believe how quickly 7,000 creeps up on you. :)

Hopefully I'll have some track results in the next couple of weeks, maybe I'll see some of you out at Moroso.

:)
Brian

P.S. Hey Mikey, the old man is dying without his ride! He wants that 2003 so bad now he can taste it!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Congrats !!:cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts