Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has a Viper Spec T-56 with all of the bells and whistles except for the speedo and reverse. I have taken a couple of pictures of the trans and the different ports. Also, here is a picture of a cut harness which I think was for the old trans which had the reverse wires? Can somebody shed some light as to the getting the right parts to extend the cable, pig tail for the reverse etc.

CUT HARNESS

I need to know which one is what?

·
Banned
6,975 Posts
Pic 1 is a wiring harness cut flush with the body of the car
Pic 2 is the reverse solenoid
Pic 3 is the back up lights
Pic 4 is the vehicle speed sensor

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pic 1 is a wiring harness cut flush with the body of the car
Pic 2 is the reverse solenoid
Pic 3 is the back up lights
Pic 4 is the vehicle speed sensor
Thank you very much! What do I need in order to make everything work correctly? Do you sell what I need?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is this a mechanical or electric speedo? I took the unit out and it had no provisions for a cable insert? I hate not having a speedo. And recommendations?

·
Registered
276 Posts
So is this a mechanical or electric speedo? I took the unit out and it had no provisions for a cable insert? I hate not having a speedo. And recommendations?
Uh Im pretty sure the cable plugs right into the VSS you have pictured there (last picture). I cant see in the hole very well but that is where it goes. Maybe that yellow thing needs to come out. The speedo will be mechanical. And the computer reads the vehicle speed through that plug right above it (blue plug).

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that the unit that slides into the housing with the 10mm bolt? If so, who sells them? Thanks

·
Banned
6,975 Posts
Yes, its the small black and aluminum sensor that goes into the side of the transmission. Do you have your old one from the T5 that was in the car?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, its the small black and aluminum sensor that goes into the side of the transmission. Do you have your old one from the T5 that was in the car?
No, I got the car with this in it...It is by far the best transmission I have ever used. Do you know of any company that sells this? Or should I find a old T-5 and salvage the mech sensor? Will at T-5 mech work in the Viper T-56?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Under the drivers side seat, where that wiring comes out,(pic1) there will be a connector/harness. You can unplug it from the chassis harness, the tatered remainder that have been cut at the floor pan that is. The reverse light switch on the trans is on the opposite side as the T5. You will have to locate that harness peice from a junkyard, and elongate it and wrap it so that you can run it over the trans and into the driver's side floorpan and back into the harness, (pic3). The two other sensors, judging by the Viper symbol on that trans most likely will not be there. The other two sensors were screwed inside the trans case, most likely have been plugged up by Dodge. The speedo cable you have is manual, hence the gear and teeth. As far as tune goes you might want to call a local tuner or trans shop to see if you need the missing sensors, my guess with an EEC IV you will need to get them. The harness itself you can pull/order from cj pony parts, car-parts.com online or even you local pick and pull.

Pic 4 is a plug that looks to be like te dallas mustang speedo conversion cable for 95-04 mustangs. It will not work with the fox, you need a longet than stock speedo gear.

Now if you have FAST or a standalone chances are you will not need the VSS sensor. The reverse light works like such, so that you know.

A positive power source is sent to the rear reverse lights, most likely a black wire with a pink stripe the car is a 93 like mine. The negative black wire is then run from the reverse bulb though the driver's side inner quarter/interior panel area. And into the driver's compartment then splits to the trans tunnel into the T5. The negative wire then attaches with a 2 prong bronze plug, (pic three, been cut off). When you put the trans in reverse it opens the circuit to ground and illuminates the reverse bulbs. Simply negative to switch negative to ground.

The reverse solenoid, (pic2) might be of the GM, FORD, or DOdge version, I do not know. That too is a switch that works on a power supply. There are two wires that come out of the solenoid, one goes to neg, and one to positive, once they are powered the reverse gear is opened and you can put the car in reverse. That plug you need to buy, its not there.

You can sometimes remove it and plug that with a plug, it is called a reverese solenoid lockout. To avoid putting the car in reverse when shifting. The 03 cobras have a rolling senser that allows the car to use that when the car is not in motion, they also have an electric speedo and trans tail output, no speedo gear. To make it work with the solenoid same thing. One wire to power, ignition or constant, your preference. The other goes to a switch that goes to ground. I personally bought the B&M switch shifter knob and use it as a switch. Constant/or igntion power to the solenoid, switch to ground. However you want to do it.

208 453 9800 modern driveline, they sell the longer speedo. I think the longer than stock cable is like $70. Some say you dont need it, some say you do, I plan on buying one.

PM me if you need more help. I can walk you through it step by step if need be.
Alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts