Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently this is an issue with the ABS and there may be updated software or something?

Usually happens for me when I'm going onto an off ramp and decide to do a little "spirited" late braking for the turn/red light, but it also happened at a local SCCA event I went to. Get hard on the brakes and the wheel starts shaking back and forth really fast. Anyone know if there's a real fix for this? It's happened to me a few times and it's really unsettling..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mileage on car? We've had some very low mileage (5-15K) delivery trucks at work warp rotors.

Can you defeat the ABS on the car (push button) to isolate ABS issue?

Does it shake only when turning (unloading inside wheel) or also when straight line stopping?

I have also had issues with bad tire belts with shaking and radial pull. These are issues that can't be seen with the naked eye. Tire balance (weights) is of course a primary concern.
May also try rotating tires F/R if none of the above seems to isolate the issue.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard about this issue from a friend of mine who regularly tracks his '11 GT (with the brembo brake package). And it's not a warped rotor or bad tire or any of that, it only happens maybe 50% of the time. But I have noticed that it'll do it almost on command if I'm steering anything but dead center straight, if I'm turn the wheel at least a little bit, it'll do it, it shakes in my hands so hard that yea, it does FEEL like a severely warped set of rotors but I know it's not.

Just curious if there's a hardware or programming upgrade out there to fix it and if anyone else has had the issue.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Almost sounds like the ABS programming is not pulsing to both front wheels at the same time. Like they are pulsing opposite of each other which would induce severe steering wheel shake as each brake grabs and lets go at alternating intervals....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I felt the same thing on road america when really going deep (overheating rotors). It was still slowing down, but didnt feel comforting.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a Ford TSB-10-16-4 that will help some Mustangs !!!
Seems to be applicable to GT500's only, I did some searching and one guy took his car to the dealership for this TSB, they tried flashing the EPAS with new software and it failed, throwing codes and they had to re-flash it with the stock software. I found a video where a guy shows how when you get above 40mph and do a few quick left right slalom turns, the wheel starts shaking like crazy on its own and doesn't stop unless he gets the car below 35 mph. That TYPE of steering wheel shake is what I'm getting above 55mph but only while I'm on the brakes hard.

·
Registered
421 Posts
With you example above, leads me to believe the electric steering is the culprit. Either the motor can't re-find center or something with the software that controls the motor...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep.. but imagine me trying to get the dealership to replicate this? I don't exactly want them taking my car out and doing some "spirited" driving to get it to happen. I'd really want to be the one driving, there's a perfect off ramp right by the dealership that has a little bit of a curve in it which also seems to help induce the shakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts