Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VIN plate swap?

I went to look at a 1986 SVO today hoping to bring it home.
The car is red but the buck tag and the door plate say 1E, which is silver. The door sticker looks like it was peeled off and stuck back onto this car. But some time ago.
The VIN plate has been painted black and is not attached with the usual rivets, looks not right to say the least. But the seller is an older fellow and has owned this car a long time.
The buck tag is silver though.
I'm in Canada and I don't think it's legal so buy a car with a tampered VIN so I passed.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
You absolutely cannot put a vin from one vehicle onto another vehicle. It is illegal.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
There are additional VIN stickers on the body panels. Each bumper should have one on it, two in the hatch water channels, 1 on each door on bottom, 1 on hood, 1 on each fender at the hood edge and possibly a few more that i missed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'd run not walk from that one. That has jail written all over it

·
Registered
420 Posts
The rivets is definitely a red flag. The paint color on a car that has been repainted is not, unless you can tell the unibody of the car was always not silver.

I understand vin swapping is not allowed most of the time it is to sell stolen or vehicle with a lien.

But if you had two cars with both having clear title and the unibody was better on one and the rest was better on the other. If the only part from the unibody car was the shell more of the car would be the other. If you made one car out of them which vin should the car be?

I have only seen one vin swapped mustang. It was obvious and I told the seller then walked away. Could have gotten it cheap but did not want any issues that might come up. Vin / title did not match any of the body stickers, and the year of the car didn't even match the year of the title.

I told the seller he omitted the car had a lien on it.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
473 Posts
My ex-wife and I had a discussion just today on this very subject. We were wondering what some of the auto specialty places do as far as the VIN if they have to take 2 cars to make one. Like if they have to use the firewall and strut towers from one car and the rest of the car from another one due to rust damage (actually saw something similar to that on YouTube) but I didn't know how on earth you'd actually be able to VIN a car cause it's made of more than 1 car.. I surmised that they would have to use the VIN associated with the firewall but I'm not sure how that works out really...

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have heard the saying the only part of the car that can't be replaced is the VIN tag. Talking about a totaled rare classic.

I say I did a body swap on my mustang. Took "everything" off an 89 5.0 T5 hatch and put it on 87 2.3 auto coupe. Other than a few non factory fasteners it's an 89 5.0 speed coupe. But the title still says 87 2.3, I am not getting into vin swapping.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
473 Posts
Well for that matter I've got a 90LX with a 351M and a C6 tranny...... But the VIN on it still shows it's a 4cyl auto car... As far as the insurance knows it's still a 4cyl auto car as well...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts