Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody done this? I'm putting my motor back together in the next few weeks with the following setup:

10.8:1 306
TEA 185cc TWs
Cam Motion custom (234/237, .564/.576)
Hooker 1 3/4" longtubes
70 mm Accufab tb
75 mm Pro-M
30 lb injectors

I was going to put my Track Heat on it but I'm wondering why a Victor 5.0 wouldn't work. I know prevailing opinion is that it's "too big" but has anyone actually put it on a similar 306 to see what would happen??

·
Registered
18 Posts
No matter what you do my car will be quicker than yours :D Just passing this message on for Rick....

Oh, you better wind that thing up and feed some nitrous to it...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ttt for the work crowd.

BTW, Flagg, you and Rick have jackstand queens so I don't have to worry! :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good question.

I would be inclined to try the Victor. We'll see what the work crowd has to say though. Sounds like a pretty good combo with either intake.

Randy

·
Registered
682 Posts
This crowd here is real rough on the victor. You will have a defined 4000 RPM powerband with this intake.

It will be higher than a long runner intake.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do drive this car on the street some but I don't really care if it's "soft" in 2000-3000 rpm range. My main concern is will I pick up power from 4500 up with the Victor? If it makes me faster at the track, :joy: I don't care about a "soft" low end.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think the victor 5.0 is too big in cross section for the 306 unless it has big compression and a cam to let it get into the zone where the vic will work which is more like 5500-7500 on an engine that small so hydro roller would be very pushed! They start to really shine on the larger 302 type deals like the infamous 347s at higher rpm!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Care to share the numbers on your CamMotion cam?

Right now I'm running a 306 with ported Victor Jr's (2.05/1.60), SystemMax II with a ported lower, and a custom CamMotion cam...574/591 lift and 236/247 duration. I've got a Victor 5.0 intake sitting in the closet, but haven't fooled with it any.

Chad

·
Registered
284 Posts
Victor 5.0

I think one of the reasons people shy away from using this intake is because it is not exactly a direct bolt-on like the other two Edelbrock 5.0 Variants. I'm not sure why Edelbrock decided to do this, either. I'm speaking about throttle cable/heater tube incompatability issues.

Randy

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ChadTN, cam is 234/237, .564/.576. I'd think with the size cam you're running, the Victor should work!

racer7088, this cam is designed for a 6600 rpm shift point so at the track I should never see below 4500 and will spend most of my time above 5000. I'm fairly sure the Victor actually has smaller cross section runners than the Holley. Can anyone confirm (or not) this?

·
Registered
202 Posts
86Cobra,

The Edelbrock Victor 5.0 advertises 2.94" square cross sectional area of runners and I measured the Holley to average 3.19" square area per runner. I'm not sure if that Vic 5.0 measurement is the actual 5.0 or 5.8?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Trent,

I really need to see mine again but it seemed larger in cross section than any of the others but I may be mistaken?

·
Registered
61 Posts
A friend of mine has a 347 with a good sized set of heads (not 100% sure which ones) a decent sized cam (I think the xe282 comp cam) and all of the parts to go with it (1 3/4" long tubes, etc). He had a Performer RPM intake on it, and went to a Victor 5.0. Even with the extra cubes of the 347, the relatively big heads (I think they were a set of Ported Victor Jr's), and good sized cam, his car SLOWED down when going to this intake from the RPM. With a 306, you'd have to be prepared to spin the motor to the MOON to make power with that intake.

Be prepared to, as a friend of mine says, "Spin it until you see god, and count to two".

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the real world input T5eater. That's the kinda info I'm looking for.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi,

Interesting dilemna. I think though, for a hyrd roller cam, you might be better with a long runner intake like the Holley. I would think 7000 rpm would probably be about it for the hyd roller. Any higher, and you'll be looking at spending some $$ to lighten up the valve train. Plus, look at the Pure Stock cars, I think those guys have to run long runner intakes and hyr roller cams (with no more than .500" lift I think), and they make some good power. Wasn't Tom Payn going low 11's at over 120 mph a couple of years ago in that class?

IMO, to use the Ed Victor, you really need a whole pre-thought out 'combo' to go with it, like a cam that'll make HP up high, and will spin high, such as a solid flat tappet, or solid roller cam, and heads that'll support air flow at the cam lifts you'd be using. You'd probably have to look at your valve train too (is it heavy and won't like spinning high?). I really believe in looking at the total combo, that's make or break for a car.

Hope this helps,
Jim

·
Registered
431 Posts
All I can say is that I've seen three 347s pick up near 50 at the tires from this intake at around 6000-7000 from the usual long runners. They were also 347s running longer cams like 230 @ .050 or so. They will absolutely lose some down low as well. Who cares if you're really looking for speed.

If you want lots of low end you can also cut the cam down and run smaller headers and get even smaller heads etc. Pretty soon you'll be back to stock! You can't make big power with small cubes unless you turn the motor up a little.

Fpr people that don't want to lose any low end and also don't want too much top end power you probably better stay away from this intake and certainly from any good carb intakes because they really can lose some on the bottom. Unfortunately they will also haul ass low end or no low end. If you want to beat people you need power.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I guess I'll wait and see. I should be up and running in mid June so I'll throw my Track Heat on and take it to the dyno and the track. If my hp peak rpm is at least 6300, then the Track Heat would seem to be working. I doubt that will happen though. My guess is that the Track Heat will keep my hp peak under 6000 rpm.

If the Track Heat doesn't do the job, I'll try a Victor. Worst case I'm out a couple of sets of gaskets and a little depreciation on the Victor. Best case, I pick up some top end power. :D

Heck, somebody has to do it! :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts