Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, today I started my car up, and noticed a light, but very noticable vibration through my steering wheel. Any ideas what this is all about. I wonder if it has anything to do with the driving vibration I have been having?
Tom

·
Registered
225 Posts
Steering shaft is probably hitting the header. Does is have aftermarket headers or steering shaft? Has the column not been aligned right? Or are the motor mounts wasted.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I recently had a vibration thru my steering wheel at idle and it vibrated the console as well.... it started when I was driving home from work and at first I thought it was skipping but it turned out to be my harmonic balancer going bad... replaced it and it was as smooth as before... check this out as well......
HTH...:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BulldogBart said:
I recently had a vibration thru my steering wheel at idle and it vibrated the console as well.... it started when I was driving home from work and at first I thought it was skipping but it turned out to be my harmonic balancer going bad... replaced it and it was as smooth as before... check this out as well......
HTH...:D
Any way to check the harmonic balancer without taking it off the car?

Also the car has shorty FMS headers that don't hit the steering shaft. Any way to check the motor mounts without taking them out as well?
Tom

·
Registered
145 Posts
The way I found my harmonic balancer was bad was when I checked my timing it was way off... I had it set at 14* before and when I found it was off I set it back at 14* it wouldn't hardly run and when I gave it some throttle it backfired thru the the intake and I knew the two halves of the balancer had twisted leaving the degree marks off. HTH:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts