Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i almost have the vibration problem solved

the transmition mount was shot so i went to autozone and just got another rubber one to last me till i get my urethane one. I replaced the mount and the vibration was almost gone... almost

Here was the original problem.. when driving normal at around 3000 rpm and up it would have a really bad vibration... one that rattle the car and made noise and all that good stuff..

Well now above 3k it barely makes the noise and you can't feel the vibration unless your holding the shifter in which that case you can definately feel it.

Ok and something else i noticed that i thought was very strange was when i removed the motor mount there were two metal pieces retangular in shape with two bolt holes in them each about 1/8 of an inch thick maybe less attached to the underside of the mount and between the crossmember there where also two large washers about the same thickness in there too... They didn't look too factory to me but i put them back in anyway...

could this height difference of about 1/4 of an inch be causing the vibration? or is it something else like a motormount? any ideas what those metal pieces are or what else might be causing the vibration????

·
Registered
911 Posts
seems like they were trying to shim that side of your stang for some reason. as long as there is a functional mount there it should help absorb vibration.............
dont forget to check your balancer & fan clutch. both can cause vibration as you described!
also, if you have gears(other than stock) it is known to have some vibration, most cure it with a FMS aluminum D.S.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car has stock gears and an aluminum driveshaft

how would i check the balancer and the fan clutch to see if that's causing it?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
SirStuntAlot said:
the transmition mount was shot so i went to autozone and just got another rubber one to last me till i get my urethane one. I replaced the mount and the vibration was almost gone... almost

Nine times out of ten you will gain vibration with poly urethane mount.
Get the vibes gone and then try the poly.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok i think that i've determined the vibration is coming from the engine and not the drivetrain.. When i rev the motor in neutral i can still feel the vibration above 3k rpm but not as bad because its not going through the whole drivetrain... So what in the motor would be causing this... could it be the balancer or the fan clutch like someone mentioned? or could it be something else

also it does it slightly worse when the air is on...

·
Registered
158 Posts
not good vibrations

stunt,
be sure to determine if the vibration is driveline or engine related. it sounds as though you may have started to do this.
-with the car at rest, does the vibration increase with rpm?
if yes, check the balancer, fan etc.
-while driving the car check for vibration in each gear including neutral.
if vibration grows with speed. the vibration can be several things. if it is a high frequency vibration, check the tail shaft bushing in the tranny, the u-joints and the drive shaft balance ( not sure how new you alum shaft is)
if the vibration is low freqency try the tire balance, wheel bearings, rotors ( a sligtly warped rotor can make one hell of a nice vibration) ect.

I know that is a lot to check. i just went through all of that stuff to find a vibration. ended up being a mixture of worn yoke and new t-5z.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a new Steel Flywheel, King cobra cutch and pressure plage, Pilot bearing, thoughout bearing, and the tranny was totally rebuilt. It vibrates in relation to the rpm. It Vibrates in Neutral and in gear depending on the RPM. I have a 94 Cobra. Is there a recall on the Balancer?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Pull your belt off the motor and see if it fixes the problem.... Rev it up in the driveway a couple times (not for long) and see if the vibration goes away. I had a problem with my fan... It was bent slightly.... Removed the belt, tested it... and it was totally GONE!

Give it a shot and report back.

Joe

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
SirStuntAlot said:
Ok and something else i noticed that i thought was very strange was when i removed the motor mount there were two metal pieces retangular in shape with two bolt holes in them each about 1/8 of an inch thick maybe less attached to the underside of the mount and between the crossmember there where also two large washers about the same thickness in there too... They didn't look too factory to me but i put them back in anyway...
You probably have a sagging motor mount on that side. Someone probably shimmed it so that the oil pan drain plug would not rub on your sway bar -or- so the fan wouldn't rub on the shroud. You might want to check both those motor mounts. I had an 87 GT that got a hole rubbed in the oil pan by the sway bar because it had sagging motor mounts. The drain plug was worn about in half...we had to weld a nut to it in order to get it out. As I said, another indicator is your fan rubbing on your shroud. EVERYBODY SHOULD CHECK THEIR MOTOR MOUNTS! It sux having to replace an oil pan with the motor in the car. At least the mounts are easier to change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts