Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELL TOOK THE CAR OUT LAST NIGHT AND I HAVE HAD ENOUGH.
THE DRIVE LINE VIBRATION IS KILLING ME, HAS ANY ONE HAD
THIS PROBLEM AFTER THERE GEAR WAS INSTALLED ?

I WAS THINKING ABOUT AN ALUMINUM DRIVE SHAFT, ANY
OTHER IDEAS.

BY THE WAY TRYED TO ROTATE MY CURENT D.S. 180 DEG
DID NOT HELP.

THANKS FOR THE INFO

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just get an Al driveshaft. My FRPP one took care of everything. No vibration over 152 MPH.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Depends. If your car is stock height and you get vibration after changing gear ratios, an aluminum DS should fix it. If your car is lowered and you get vibration after gear change, it could require either a DS or adjustable upper control arms or both. You could have either a driveline vibe caused by a harmonic in the gear set or a pinion angle issue that didn't show up until the gear swap, or both. I had no vibe with 3.08s after lowering the car. Went to 4.10s, still no vibe. Went to 3.27s HUGE VIBE. Installed an FRPP aluminum DS. No help. Took the DS to a DS shop to be balanced. The tech measured and said it was one of the crappiest pieces he had ever seen. BOTH ends were out in excess of .040! He cut and rewelded them and balanced the DS. Absolutely no change in the vibe. A set of adjustable upper arms adjusted to a pinion angle of 3 degrees did the trick.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i forgot to mention it is a 01 cobra it is lowerd but i did the gear first and springs next vibe was there before the drop
410 gear was installed

thanks for the info thus far.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Did you remove the harmonic damper aka moose balls when the gear swap was done? I did and had horrible vibes tried the aluminium drive shaft no change. Put the damper back on vibes were gone. The damper IS NOT tuned to the gear it is tuned to a critical drive line frequency.

Dwayne

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get either the Griggs Aluminum driveshaft ~ $399 or a PS carbon fibre driveshaft. Should help the bad fibs. I have 01 Cobra with 4:10s and the fibs are not that bad until I let of the thottle over 80. I have a FMS AL drive shaft it had about 1/2 of play and when I put in it was 100 times smoother. I was worried about it not being the same length as the factory shaft so I had it shortened and rebalance by a Drive Shaft shop and now it's crap. Maybe indexing will help. But If I had it to do over agian I would by the Griggs shaft.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Guys, I've been around and around with this problem, believe me.

Depends on how much you want to spend, and/or how much work you want to throw at the problem.

You can get a FMS shaft and monkey around with trying to get it to fit. They're about $180, and you will need a replacement yoke for your transmission. You may have to have it shortened and re-welded.

You get what you pay for. The FMS shafts are usually good, but occasionally you get a piece of crap, as mentioned above. It might or might not work. If it doesn't take care of the vibe, take it to have it balanced.

You can spend $400 for either a Griggs or a PST aluminum shaft that will come with the proper yoke. These units are very precisely balanced when they're made. If you still have vibes after installing one of these, it's not the driveshaft. www.griggsracing.com or www.pstds.com

You can attempt to balance the stock shaft by adding washers to the pinion flange bolts to add rotating mass. This is a trial and error process that takes a lot of time and getting under the car, changing something, and getting back in it and spinning the tires up to >90MPH on jack stands. If you want to do this, contact me and I'll provide more information about how I did it and what finally worked for me.

Joe Lynch has a good website that I used for some information on how to balance the d.s. www.lx.net/jlynch

I tried the PST shaft, and it did not help. In fact, it made the vibration worse. I ended up measuring runout of both the pinion flange and the output shaft, indexing and balancing the shaft with washers and hoseclamps. If you do a search with my username, you'll find a detailed account of what I did to get the vibes to a tolerable level.

I would recommend dealing with Mark at PST. He's very accomodating and helpful, and when the shaft didn't work for me, he let me return it used with a full refund.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,411 Posts
I had a FRPP driveshaft that I indexed and re-indexed numerous times after installing the 4.56's. No improvement.
Bought a PST carbon fiber driveshaft. Some improvement.
Boght D&D double adjustable upper control arms. More improvement.
Still some vibes, but tolerable. I couldn't get above 115mph before. Afterward, got it up to 135 w/ out a problem. Had more to go.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had a small vibration that turned into a large vibration. The differential had a crack in it which caused the vib. The crack got bigger and so did the vibration. Replaced the diff. and gear and the vib went away.

Just something you might want to check for.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O.K GUYS NEED SOME HELP PUT THE VIBRATION DAMPNER
BACK ON AND STILL VIBRATES ,NOT SO MUCH AT CRUSE
BUT WHEN YOU TIP INTO IT THERE IS A LOT OF VIBRATION

PLEASE HELP THIS IS KILLING ME.:mad:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is this whats happening? If it is, then your covered by this TSB.

Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: FORD
Model: MUSTANG
Year: 2001
Service Bulletin Number: 010803
Bulletin Sequence Number: 193

Summary Description:
CONCERNS WITH DRIVELINE VIBRATION FELT THROUGH THE SEAT, FLOOR AND / OR STEERING WHEEL AT APPROXIMATELY 65 MPH IN 4TH OR 5TH GEAR ON SOME COBRA VEHICLES.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There's actually another TSB that's more specific to this problem.

You have a pinion angle problem, it sounds like. Mine was doing the same thing, except when you RELEASED the accelerator. Too much negative pinion angle is supposedly the culprit.

Take it to the dealer and tell them what it's doing. They are going to either have to replace the driveshaft, the pinion flange, and/or balance the rotating assembly. You'll probably get better results if you do the work yourself with the balancing. If you need advice, contact me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts