Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that a few other people were having this problem when I did a search a few days ago and thought I'd share the solution(s). After rebuilding my car and replacing nearly everything in my sig, the car vibrated like mad from 60-70mph. I nearly had a heart attack the first time I took it on the freeway as it was a completely new experience to me. Shook like MAD. At first I thought it was ONLY in 5th gear, but that wasn't true. The vibration just wasn't as noticeable in 3rd & 4th, but it was there. Maybe the higher engine RPMs simply masked the problem a bit. So, here's what I did.

A) Believe it or not, simply torquing the wheels on properly helped. I had originally jacked up the rear of my car to check the driveline bolts; which were fine. Then I got a wild hair up my rear and decided to change my rear shocks since they were right there. Installed my new Bilsteins & some cheapie $11/each quad schocks. Broke out the old Snap-On torque wrench when I put on the wheels. Took it for a spin. The vibration was still there, but NOT NEARLY as bad. Certainly annoying enough to keep it off the highway. And I could certainly tell beyond a doubt that it was coming from the rear end of the car. I also verified that the vibration was not coming from the engine, water pump, etc by removing the belt. So...

B) I ordered a new aluminum driveshaft from Summit. After cursing myself for putting too much thread lock on, I got the new driveshaft installed. Vibration? What vibration? The only vibrations I feel now are around 3k-4k and who knows what's from... exhaust, engine balance.... but it's not horrible. Crusing anywhere from 60 on up is just fine.

Anyway - just thought I'd share for others trying to figure out to take the plunge for the new driveshaft or not. Personally, I'd highly recommend it. It's pretty damn cheap for what you're getting and it only takes 30-60 minutes to install.

Regards,
fastgeek

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
FRPP driveshaft cured all my ails.
Best 148 bucks I ever spent.

LOL it took me a half hour to get my D/S bolts out from over loctiting( is that a word).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts