Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Encountered a strange problem last night while changing the crank pulley(the pulleys were stock-s-trim)..drove the car to a friends house it was running great on the way there.Tried to change the blower pulley but gave up for need of a pulley puller.So on to the crank pulley.Pulled the fan and shroud and swapped out the crank pulley from a 6.87 to a 7.25 inch put everything back together.Was happy that the same belts were usable.When it was time to leave the car was running like crap? I went around the block and returned to my friends house...the mufflers were cherry red i mean red.We didn't touch anything but the blower pulley(which we didn't change) and the crank pulley(which we did change).A look around under the hood found nothing wrong?
I started the car up and nursed it home..it would not idle at all and wouldn't rev above 3000rpm at home the exhaust was glowing again and the undercoating was burning off the floor of the car.The car wasn't overheating on the way home..it still had 40 lbs of fuel pressure and we never touched the timing?The boost gauge was showing 4lbs at cruising speed which was very strange? Any ideas would be appreciated
1991 Mustang LX
302 stock bottom end
Twisted wedge heads
e-303 Cam
Gt-40 intake
65mm Throttle body
BBK 1 5/8's long tubes
gss-340 intank
42lb injectors
80mm C&L mass air meter
Timing is at 18 degree's spout out
3.33 blower pulley 7.25 crank pulley
MSD 6 BTM box with the knob at zero
No FMU
Im baffled?

Thanks in advance

Mark

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sounds like your timing is too far retarded...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I found out what it was..the old silicone hose i was using from blower to discharge tube had a split in the bottom of it..looks like the clamps at one time had been reefed down pretty good and actually sliced through the silicone(used kit). So this pretty much took the mass air out of the equation(no wonder it ran like crap).
Looks like it may have washed down the cylinders with gas pretty good...i'm going to change the oil and plugs
Andrew: thats what i thought at first the symtoms sure did look like timing was way retarded..you have a kickass ride there i seen the video's ;)
Rotax:I took alook at the bypass and everything seems good
I have no idea why the boost gauge was showing 4lbs
Thanks for the advice guys i appreciate it

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts