Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say thank goodness nothing serious happened tonight, but something did get my attention....

Convertible drivers might want to read this.

I have a '94 vert without rollbar. This evening we were sitting at a light (top down), in the far left (of 2) left turn lane, waiting to turn out of the movies onto a fairly major street. Suddenly, I hear these screeching tires to my left, and I look up to see an enormous SUV, going way too fast, trying to make the turn into the parking lot, into the incoming lane, which was adjacent to mine (The double yellow line was just to my left, no median). The happy ending is that he did make the turn without hitting me.

It didn't take much imagination, though, to realize that if he had been going much faster, he could have easily rolled over right on top of us.

I had always thought the danger of a vert was rolling your own vehicle, and it absolutely infuriates me to imagine some #%@^#% idiot causing the described scenario.

Q1: What would be the chances of surviving such a rollover-on-top-of-you scenario without a rollbar?

Q2: How much weight/force can a factory rollbar withstand, and would that have helped significantly?

Q3: I have always assumed that a rollover without a rollbar would be fatal, but what are the stats on this?

Lessons learned:

1. At that, and similar, intersections, I'll use the 'inside' left turn lane to leave 1 lane of buffer between me and incoming traffic.

2. It's often the dangers you don't anticipate that get you killed.

Thoughts?

-lawson08

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Make sure you get a roll bar and not a styling bar... styling bars offer no support whatsoever,

I even saw a real 4 point rollbar made by Hooker and it said that it was considered a "styling bar" because they couldn't guarantee that it would offer any support in case of a rollover...

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've been trying to decide what route I want to go for my roll bar for my 88 vert.
The Hooker bar "Car Bar" is pretty cool, and looks great in Chrome but its a 4 pt and doesn't really add allot of support, and its not NHRA for anything.

I'm leaning toward Maximum Motorsports 6 pt with the swing out bars by the doors.
I've spoken to one vert owner that said it rocks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree with Lawson08-That $*%# is scary to think about.

Ya got to admit that the Styling bar looks kick azz.

Those 4 pt bars appear to be much more reliable but cost a Arm and Leg!!

I am sure they is somebody on here who can weld them poles together??????????????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts