Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago my car developed a knock, I believe it is in the valvetrain. I have the valve cover off of the drivers side. Nothing appears to be broken ( no pieces floating around ). What do I look for? When I pulled the plugs one of the electrodes was flattened! Is this a different problem? Please help.:eek:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Electrode flat generally = busted cylinder. Do compression check then go from there. Most likley you have toasted a piston and if your also hearing noise in the head..then the chunks also could have bent a valve on thier way out. Check compression frist before getting carried away on the above statment

·
Registered
184 Posts
snkbitn said:
A few weeks ago my car developed a knock, I believe it is in the valvetrain. I have the valve cover off of the drivers side. Nothing appears to be broken ( no pieces floating around ). What do I look for? When I pulled the plugs one of the electrodes was flattened! Is this a different problem? Please help.:eek:
mine is doing to same thing but i havn't pull the valve covers or nothin.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks squeezed 96. Tonight a mechanic told me to check the valve springs by turning the motor over by hand b/c the valve cover is already off. If it were a piston shouldn't I find metal in the oil? I checked the dipsitck and couldn't see any metallic particals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts