Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on broken valve springs after coming across a couple posts about broken ModMax valve springs. Seems that a whole lot of 2 valve Gt's and a few 4v's have broken ModMax valve springs.

My questions are these:

1. Who runs the ModMax valvesprings kit here on DOHC 4v's and hasn't broke anything yet? How many miles on them so far? Who built the heads for it? What cams used etc?

2. How many of you used the ModMax valvespring kit and broke the valve springs, or any other valvetrain parts? Was it improper setup, or faulty springs? Isn't there a way to test the springs before ever installing them so breakage can be avoided by finding bad springs before they break?

Just a bit worried after so many have posted about broken valve springs. If it boils down to ModMax springs being bad, I need a part number for DOHC valve springs from another proven manufacturer. - John

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So then all this broken valvespring stuff is really improper setup? Who built his heads? I was planing on TEA in KY. Do you use modmax valve springs yourself?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do a search with the words broke valve spring. I think about 14 posts will come up with broken ModMax valve springs. Hmmm:confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't want to run my ModMax kit if it's going to break and destroy my new engine. I'd like to know for sure if it was improper setup, or bade springs from ModMax. Anyone who knows for sure reply ASAP!

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
thats what i would like to know, im pulling motor to properly adjust the lash adjusters and im thinking of some new valve springs. I haven't gotten any help, but im thinking the beehive springs are a good option.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had modmax springs on my GT motor and they broke almost as soon as I got the car back. SD Wheeler sold me the springs and ported the heads and I was using SHM blower cams.

·
Registered
189 Posts
About 5K street miles and 250 road course miles since I got my FR500 ported heads with SHM stage 2 cams back from SD. I'm nervous about the reports, but too late unless I just want to replace them for safety. Prolly won't do that so just crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
So then all this broken valvespring stuff is really improper setup? Who built his heads? I was planing on TEA in KY. Do you use modmax valve springs yourself?
I built the heads on Jakes twin turbo car. And yes i use Modmax springs. As a matter of fact..Everything inside my newest 5.4 is from Modmax. Al

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boss 330 said:
I built the heads on Jakes twin turbo car. And yes i use Modmax springs. As a matter of fact..Everything inside my newest 5.4 is from Modmax. Al
Alright, that makes me feel better about it. I just wanted to make sure before I put those suckers in. I got nervous after reading yet another persons post with broken ModMax valve springs. Do you blame me?

Al, if your not too booked up PM me your fee for DOHC assembly. - John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts