Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is my prob...i had a solid lifter...and adjustable pushrods...i checked the pushrod length and the pattern made looked best with 7.6...but now that i forked out the cash for them i checked the pattern with the hyd roller lifters in and it looked to be short....

also...when tightening the rockers i spun the pushrod in my fingers till i felt some resistence then turned 3/4 or so and that just seemed way loose...i thought it was suppose to be around 18ftlbs??

and...i took a adjustable pushrod and let it to 7.7 and checked it WITH the hyd lifter installed and it look really good...but i thought i was suppose to check the length with solid lifter??

really really confused and dont know whats going on...need help bad guys....:confused: :confused: :barf:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It probably looks short because your lifters are compressing. I'd say if 7.6 seemed good with a solid lifter, then go with it. See, when you put the 7.7 rod in with the hydraulic lfters, the extra length of the rod made up for the compression of the lifter...follow?

About the adjustment process, don't use the "spin until you feel resistance" method. The word "resistance" is too vague, and confuses a lot of people. Instead, grab the rod between your first finger and thumb, and move it up and down. When you can't move it up and down anymore, THAT'S when you're at zero lash. Now, turn the nut another 1/2- 3/4 of a turn, tighten down the polylock (if you have them) and you'll be good to go. This is assuming you have stud mount rockers, of course.

Are you adjusting your rockers with the lifter on the base circle of the cam?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
91 or any who have info and or opinions for me

i understand what your saying...but..with studs dose the whole 18ft lb of torque still apply? cause if i were to tighten them like that...it would just push the rocker down then that would push the rod down making the lifter compress...

what im thinken right now is that the 18ft lbs thing dosnt apply to stud mount rockers..thats what the polylock is for..right?

but even now...if that is what "zero lash" is...theres a good chance that when i meshured for correct length that i didnt do it right then...and im still back to square one...WRONG LENGTH RODS!!...i spend around 140 on that damn things and chances are there worthless to me now...ill have to go recheck for proper length now and see what happens

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I've never used the whole 18 ft-lbs thing when doing my rockers. I use 1/2-3/4 of a turn strictly. I think the 18 ft-lbs is for pedestal mount rockers. As far as the poly locks go, I just make sure they're good and tight so they won't back off. I've never torqued those to any particular value, either.

I'd guess you probably got the rod length right, though. It would take quite a large error to have to go to the next size up, or down.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
went out and checked the length again when the solid lifter...looks good...so now that i understand whats going on i guess im ok....

one thing thats weird is there is one nut on each side that the polylock screw goes way farther in then the rest...i compared the nut AND poly lock to another one and they are both the same...and you can also see that those two nuts are higher up...and i cant figure out why

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Better make sure you have the rocker on there correctly. If you look at the pivot of the rocker, you'll see there's a curved (beveled) side, and a flat side. Make sure you have the beveled side facing down on the stud, and not the flat side.

Understand what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no i dont think i do? all the rockers looked the same? so your saying that there sorta...a...left and right..kinda thing? i took those rockers off meny times looken at them and never noticed anything...mabe if i try switching those to around...

actually i think i did try a differrent rocker on that one and it did the same...and stud also looks the same as the rest....

so your saying i need to look at the bottoms of them...there scorpian rockers by the way

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey..i just went out and took a look at those two rockers that were like that and you were right..i had the flat part facing down...seem ok now...that comes to show how much of a novice i am..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
DemonGT said:
hey..i just went out and took a look at those two rockers that were like that and you were right..i had the flat part facing down...seem ok now...that comes to show how much of a novice i am..:rolleyes:
Eh.....don't worry about it. One time, I completely forgot to bolt one rocker down. Then when I started it, I wondered why it was making a loud popping noise, and only running on 7 cylinders..... :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts