Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just got done with a mild rebuild on a 64 289. Im tearing my damn hair out trying to find out what is wrong with this thing. My intake vaccum is bouncing between 15-18, there is no bottom end noise and i have 30-35lbs of oil pressure at idle.
Here's the problem.....I have some serious valve train noise. And some popping outta the carb under various throttle conditions other than idle. I thought that the valve were out of adjustment. Well i did a hot adjustment with the car running and this didnt help at all.
Now im starting to guess that i may have a collapsed lifter or possible more than one. :eek: Anyway i could really use some input on this nightmare.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its hydraulic....sound like its time to stop sinking $$$ into this car ( a 1963 fairlane 500) i think the thing is cursed...

·
Registered
803 Posts
It sounds like the lifters are bleeding down too fast, you don't see flattend roller cams to often. What kind of condition is the engine in? how many miles? Any performance mods done to it? Try an oil flush, your oil pressure dosen't mean everything, you could have some oil passeges that are plugged up.

Trevor

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
speed demon said:
It sounds like the lifters are bleeding down too fast, you don't see flattend roller cams to often.

You also don't see roller cams in '64 289's either. Especially since he didn't say it had one...

·
Registered
6 Posts
You know, I might(if I were you) run a compression check while you are at it. the popping back thru the carb could indicate a bent intake valve, a hanging(open, sticking open, very possible if the heads are old) intake valve, or a bent intake pushrod. It would also cause a fluctuating vacuum reading, along with the valvetrain noise(rocker arm binding, or if the valve is bent open, the piston lightly hitting the valve). The bad cylinder should show up during a few readings of each cylinder, if that is the problem.
It is also entirely possible that you have a turd lifter(or ten), but doing a compression test could elminate some guesswork.
Good luck young man, and keep the '63, they are getting really hard to find out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts