Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question how important good valve springs are to optimal cam performance. Right now I am running stock TFS TW valve springs with my new FTI custom cam. The lift on the cam is a little past the recommended lift on the stock TFS springs. Can this hurt performance? Basically, the car doesnt feel as fast as it should. I have new double springs here not installed yet that I bought from FTI. Ed recommended I swap out the stock TFS springs. Basically, can the stock TFS springs hurt my cars performance if thier too weak?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Why didn't change the springs when you swapped out the cam you more or less had most of it apart. I'm guessing that the new cam has more aggressive lobes and I'd be afraid of this rather than the extra lift. I'd also be afriad that the weak springs would float and rarely does this not lead to damage...I floated valves once and bent an intake valve.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Definetly change the springs. My buddies 95 had stock springs on it and was floating valves around 5200 rpm. Since he installed the new springs it goes to 6200 with no problems.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
JoeDirte said:
Why didn't change the springs when you swapped out the cam you more or less had most of it apart. I'm guessing that the new cam has more aggressive lobes and I'd be afraid of this rather than the extra lift. I'd also be afriad that the weak springs would float and rarely does this not lead to damage...I floated valves once and bent an intake valve.
The reason I didnt swap them out when I did the cam was because I didnt know exactly how and I didnt wanna jump in too over my head, ya know? They should be getting done next week by a shop my buddy recommended. I really hope this is the problem. I got my ass handed to my the other night by a car I shouldnt have. TFS recommended max lift of .540" on there stock TW springs. I dont know what valve float feels/sounds like, but I do feel that the car isnt as fast as it should be. I may also look into having the cam degreed in.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
You really should degree in the cam, going on memory but didn't Kim reply to a post saying that one of his FTI cams was off?

Call Ed and ask his thoughts on it, if it's not floating then I doubt you'd see that much performance difference. Something is not right because you are the first person I've heard say their FTI cam's performance is subpar. Good luck tracking down.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ed told me I should degree it in. He also said straight up should be 2* advanced.

I dont know if the valves are floating, i've never felt or experienced that. Judging from the respnses i've got from the sites I posted this on, it sounds as if the weak springs are the cause of my car not pulling like it should. Im not gonna keep beating up on the car to test if the valves are floating because I dont wanna chance breaking anything.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone else have any comments?

·
Registered
735 Posts
well if the cam is bigger than your springs recomended lift your probably seeing valve float and coil bind the springs are only made to compress to xxx lift and you go past that the coil will hit eachother and bind and eventualy break. if your realy lcuky the valve won't drop into the piston when the spring snaps. always change your springs to match your cam for proper vail train control

1 - 8 of 8 Posts