Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would seem that the open element would draw in a lot of hot air. I like the straight design though.

Opinions...?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
It would seem that the open element would draw in a lot of hot air.
Not when the car is moving, it doesn't matter...don't let anyone tell you otherwise... The design is pretty simple, as its a nice straight "heat resistant coated" (on the inside) pipe with a fat filter at the end of the MAF... I have the UPR power pipe with the big mouth filter and noticed a nice gain from it... The car reved a lot smoother/quicker and you could really feel it in the upper rpms... When I installed it, my car was bone stock at the time...probably why I noticed the nice gain... My Cobra has every bolt-on except Long Tube Headers and I would still recommend the UPR power pipe as a beneficial mod...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!!

I thought it would be a lot better than our stock restrictive ones.

Think I'm going to purchase it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I like the UPR piece. It's definitely worth it. If you're concerned about hot air put a plastic shield around the filter. It shouldnt be hard to make one on your own. However, I don't think it's a big deal seeing as I'm running 12.3s with the filter exposed.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NICE!!!!!
I ordered it this morning. Along with a battery relocation kit, timing adjuster, and rear seat delete DIY kit.

TOYS,TOYS,TOYS!!!!:joy:

zak97cobra,

What sort of mods you got?
My friend is shooting for 400 N/A

Sounds like you are close.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have ProM 77mm MAF, UPR powerpie, underdrive pulleys, MSD DIS-4 Ignition, BBK LT headers, BBK off road H-pipe, 2 chamber Flowmasters, 4.56 gear, detroit locker, moser 31 spline axles, UPR double adjustable upper control arms, UPR non adjustable lower control arms, no A/C, home made rear seat delete, and MT ET drags of the 26x10 variety.

When I ran the 12.38 I had about 284RWHP. Since then I have had a tune by fordchip and now have 288RWHP. Not even close to 400. When your friend gets to 400 N/A HP tell him to give me a call.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HAHAHA

Like I said it's a goal but not something that I think he will attain.

Did you beef up the rear end for protection or because it let go on you?

When I had my 302 there was a short belt that I could use to bypass the AC and the power steering. Does our system allow for that? I would like to cut down on the accessories to get a little more to the ground.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
FYI...I wouldnt recomend bypassing the power steering. Your brakes will suffer as well. They share the same booster under the hood, so if one is disconnected then the other suffers as well.

Zak.. I take it that you havent been back to the track since your tune? Im patiently awaiting March 1 to come around, thats when the tracks here open back up. I really want a 11.99 as the car sits. I finally have some good slicks (26x10 ET drags on 15x10 pro stars), so I can launch as hard as you now.:joy:

Lloyd

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
LaserCobra I broke the stock rear end at a FFW race in 2001 and replaced it with the previously mentioned setup.

Lloyd, I haven't been to the track yet. I am patiently awaiting Norwalk's opening in APRIL! However I wouldnt' be opposed to a road trip in March to get some good air. Now that you have slicks, your launches should be much more fun. Keep me informed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
LaserCobra said:

zak97cobra,

What sort of mods you got?
My friend is shooting for 400 N/A

Sounds like you are close.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, LaserCobra, no offense to you whatsoever because you didn't know......but that was really funny!!!!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pat96Cobra,

None taken.
No one around here is running those sort of number with a 4.6 that I know of and I keep forgetting the potential in a light car, 4.56's, and slicks.

My mistake:D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ok, to actually be a help here..............
I have the UPR powerpipe and the bigmouth filter on my car as well. I like it a lot, the only track results I have from it, is the fact that I was able to run the exact same e/t (down to the hundredth) in 65 degree weather with the upr pipe/filter as I was able to in 35 degree weather without it. Same track, same setup. Even the same 60 foot. So its worthwhile, but mine's an oldschool one that is made of metal, painted black, so it heats up quite a bit more than the ones made now. I like it though cause at the track, I throw a bag of ice on it and the intake, and everything cools down pretty quick.:)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feed back. I was looking forward to the fact I could cool it with ice too. I wish someone here had dyno results. I'm really curious.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
You'll like it...and if you go to the track you can take out your headlight and the filter is right behind the light...lets air directly into the pipe...I got a Pro-M 80mm MAF to go along with it...

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Like the others, I've had good experiences with the UPR. I gained on avg. 1-1.5mph in the 1/4 with it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice.

I'm foaming at the mouth waiting on this stuff to come in!!!

Keep the posts coming guys. I want to know all stories.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had mine for about 3 months now. I really like it compared to the stock set up. Although I did have to remove my Steeda strut tower brace for it to fit, oh well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts