Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a complete tubular k-member kit from UPR out at WFC this weekend and I'm unsure of the springs they gave me. The guy told me that I would get the best weight transfer with a 150lb 14" spring. From what I've read everyone seems to go with a 175 or 200 lb 14" spring. He insisted that it would work but I want to make sure first.

The car is setup as follows in the front:

aluminum headed 351w
carbureted
battery in the trunk
bumper support and brackets removed
15x3 draglites
Lakewood 90/10's
only accessories are water pump and alternator
manual rack
fiberglass hood

Basically everything that doesn't need to be there is gone and I only drive the car on the weekends every once in a while.

Also, they left out one of the aluminum bearing covers that goes on top of the strut. Hopefully they won't give me any crap about sending me one. There was only 2 new bolts that came with this kit. I assume that you re-use all of the old hardware? No instructions either so I also assume that you use the factory torque specifications?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hmmmmm

Seems like pretty light springs for a 351.............

I'm running 350's.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I've got #175 springs with my granatelli coil-over kit. With nothing that's not needed up front and the big 408 hanging there this is how mine sits...

I have very little adjustment left to bring the front down. It's way lighter than I figured I guess. It does seem nice and light and moves really easy. I'm figuring it'll work nicely.

The k-member itself. I have a HAL/QA1 and the only hardware I got was a pair of bolts for the steering rack, everything else was reused from the stocker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Springs

With those spring you will have quicker travel rate of the front end. That only means quicker weight transfer to the rear. On the street you should very careful; when you leave a light from a distance it looks like you just got on it. I had the man stop me
from a distance because, he thought I was launching the car from the light. The only thing that saved me was that he didn't hear the car from a distance. If he had not been a mustanger himself we would have had trouble, truoble, trouble.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just don't want the front to be so soft that it slams back down after a good launch. I've got the eibach drag springs in now and they seem to keep the front end up pretty much until I let off or hit the brakes which is fine with me.

Also are these springs so soft that my car is gonna be slammed in the front just sitting there or will I have enough adjustment to raise it up if I need to?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Your struts should control the rate of descent.

I'd like mine lower ideally but I really have no more adjustment. If your front end sags too much then you should have no problems cranking them up. I think I have 4" or adjustment upwards on mine, that shouldn't be a problem to set your desired ride height.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool. I hope this kit works out good because the quality looks to be pretty good. I've already gotten compliments about it just sitting in the garage....too bad it has to be hidden underneath the engine :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts