Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting one of these to replace the none existent one on my 90 GT. Anyone running one of these that can post pics? Any reviews out there? Any clearance issues with lowered mustangs? Mine is lowered 1.5".
Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
My 91 GT I just got has one of these on it, discovered it when I tried to get a jack under it. Is it stock? My 89 LX does not.

·
Registered
187 Posts
At stock ride height w stock tires and wheels the spoiler is about 7 inches from the ground, it sticks down 3.25 inches from the lower crossmember. I suspect your lowered car will have no problems w it

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Be forwarned when it does scrape the ground it has a nasty sound thats for sure. I prefer the plastic ones, they are more forgiving when it comes to things like that.

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
I use a bag ass explorer one so I’m sure you won’t have any issues.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Ford used plastic for a reason. There is a ton of evidence on mine that it's met the ground more than once. The plastic ones bend and give and bounce back. Aluminum will bend and give and just be all bent up.

And then you need a new one or to fix the one you have as best as you can.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An aluminum deflector will get all bent up.
Ford used plastic for a reason. There is a ton of evidence on mine that it's met the ground more than once. The plastic ones bend and give and bounce back. Aluminum will bend and give and just be all bent up.

And then you need a new one or to fix the one you have as best as you can.

Ok, this is good info! I never thought of that. Maybe a plastic one is the way to go... This has been insightful!

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,468 Posts
popular and effective upgrade back in the day was using the old ford ranger deflector as it was bigger and wider, although i'm guessing finding one of those today is impossible

Reactions: 90trunk

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
popular and effective upgrade back in the day was using the old ford ranger deflector as it was bigger and wider, although i'm guessing finding one of those today is impossible
The 83-88 Ranger/Bronco II front valence air dam. E3TZ-100001A06-B. I've had mine on the car since 2002.

Reactions: pkstang

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
The 83-88 Ranger/Bronco II front valence air dam. E3TZ-100001A06-B. I've had mine on the car since 2002.
Another similar option is the '89-92 Ranger / '91-94 Explorer air dam. Rockauto.com lists it as a "air deflector" for the Ranger and as a "valence" for the Explorer; not sure why the terminology is different, but whatever. Part number is FO1092161 (#E9TZ17626A), under $12.

I've had a junkyard one on mine for years. The air dam is pretty much the full width of the car, and wraps back - I had to cut it a bit on the sides to make it even with the leading edge of the wheel wells.

Reactions: pkstang and 90trunk

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Another similar option is the '89-92 Ranger / '91-94 Explorer air dam. Rockauto.com lists it as a "air deflector" for the Ranger and as a "valence" for the Explorer; not sure why the terminology is different, but whatever. Part number is FO1092161 (#E9TZ17626A), under $12.
I've had a junkyard one on mine for years. The air dam is pretty much the full width of the car, and wraps back - I had to cut it a bit on the sides to make it even with the leading edge of the wheel wells.
Great info! I like how it wraps around and the price is much lower than I would have imagined.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,468 Posts
i like that it extends more on the sides... looks better than the ranger i have

and for that kind of money not even worth going to the junkyard, although junkyards are fun

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,438 Posts
I bought one one line after a quick search. I had to cut a few inches in length out of the middle, but it works well. I can't believe the markup on the aluminum one from LMR. LOL, wow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.