Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to know if anyone has swapped from manual 2.3L 4-cylinder to Focus-type engine. In other words, I would like something that will save gas and is quiet but able to produce horsepower if the need to upgrade comes in the future. Are there other options like hybrids? The gas prices go up and down. I have 88 mustang LX body style with 2.3L. It runs OK but I'm about fed up with the whining of it. Sometimes I just wanna yank it and roll it down a hill into the bushes. Maybe there is something I could do with the exhaust. Plus I'm tired of fixing it and would like a cleaner, newer feel. I want it to be fun to drive also. I already have 95 mustang GT convertible gas guzzler. Links or advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I night be wrong but i dont think that t 2.3 focus motor will bolt up to the trans. Im pretty sure this is a compleatly different 2.3 from the mustang.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
A focus is front wheel drive so unless you are planning a front wheel drive conversion:eek::rofl: id have to say it is out of the question

·
Registered
282 Posts
Check out Quad 4 Rods in Denver (google 'em). They do a bellhousing to mate a T5 to either the Zetec or the Duratech. Be sitting down, the sticker shock may knock you over!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Take a look at the duratec rangers. Its rwd configured already, if the transmission physically fits you don't need to worry as much... obviously its going to be alot of work either way,fabrication for mounts, wiring mostly I'd think, but at least a ranger duratec would probably be a little more viable.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well what about the stupid whining of the engine or the exhaust? Shouldn't a 4-cylinder be quieter? Anymore suggestions?

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
What do you mean "whining" of the exhaust? Only reason it would be excessively loud is if the exhaust is leaking and/or rotted out. Goto a muffler shop.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have had several 4-bangers and thry do whine a little but most of the whines i have ever heard were from the power steering pumps. Ford is famous for that. If you want something quiter just buy something newer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I mean it just sounds like a tonka toy, especially in first and second gears. Is there a such thing as a quiet exhaust for it? Will avoid buying a Civic. I like the 88 LX body style. I have the power steering issue to deal with too.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Why not do a Turbo coupe motor swap. More power and good mpg. The lx should be lighter than the bird. You get your 4 cyl "cake" and eat it too.
Erich

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
400hp 2.3T in a vert and close to 30mpg..:)

mine whines too..but i like the whine

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
400hp 2.3T in a vert and close to 30mpg..:)

mine whines too..but i like the whine
That is really cool. You must surpise alot of people.
What is your setup?
I was thinking the mpg must be good with the light car and a turbo sounds like it is-even when you are making a ton of power. But to cruise around, you are not loading up so good mpg.
Erich

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
2.3T is the turbo coupe version of the mustang 2.3. It is set up to handle more power.
I would bet 'notch has some other stuff done to it.
MMandFF had a 2.3T mustang pulling the front wheels off the ground.
Erich

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like my choices are with Duratec (RWD of course), rebuilt stock engine with Esslinger stuff, or 2.3L Turbo from SVO. I guess what I was really inquiring was an upgradeable four cylinder with newer technology that could be a cool mod car and a daily driver. Would still like to use my 88 LX body.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
no front wheel drive? i want to avoid front-wheel drive. what type of engine is it and what year? is it the same kind i already have? what kind of turbo setup did u use? do u have pictures? i'm ok with turbo whine:)

thats how you do it. currently swapping out my 72# inj for 120# and going to E85

car has full MM suspension and SN95 cobra brakes

its fun

1 - 20 of 29 Posts