Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the valvetrain noise still isnt completely gone although I have been driving the car for well over 500 miles now. It has gotten ALOT quiter but still has that sound like its a quart low and the lifters are "just not quite" getting enough oil if you know the sound im describing. The car pulls like a beast and its not tuned yet. Finally got it to hold idle after resetting the computer and running it at 2500rpm for about 5min, its only died on me twice since doing that.

I took some comfort in Juiced46 driving his car for months without the drivetrain noise going away completely, thinking its just the cams and springs, but now he "thinks" he has blown his motor, so Im contemplating putting my car up until I can have it looked over thourghly (sp?) to make sure something isnt loose or might need more shims.

But so far im loosing faith in this mod, I have seen many Swapped cars that just blew up after the mod, very few driving around still that I know of, although I could be wrong. Most have given up the ghost with the exception of Juiced46 but even that is up for grabs now at the moment.

Just kinda dis-illusioned at the moment of what to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had my installed by a local shop here. There was no valvetrain noise when I got it back and there hasn't been any problems. I've had the swap almost 5,000 miles so far and it drives like a dream and definitely pulls harder. Sorry to hear about your problems, hope everything works out good for you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I wonder how many head swap folks who kept the stock PI cams are having these problems....:confused:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sorry to hear, I've had my swap done for around 5K miles/1 year. I've driven the car 600 miles round trip since the swap. Hope things don't start to frown on me in the future.. Best of luck to you

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Starting to see a pattern here

Looks like only folks with regrind cams are having issues, besides those who have posted, the others I know that are still on the road used the stock cams. Those with regrinds seem to be losing motors, or having the valvetrain noise problems.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Could it be that your cams are too aggressive? I thought you and the guy with the T-Bird both had the same cams.

I've had my heads p&p. I kept the stock cams. Everything runs smoothly. No valvetrain noise at all.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm pulling a cam off of my old head tonight. I'm going to measure the lifter pocket and get some .001 to .010 shim stock. I'm trying to locate a suitable spring compressor.

I finished my swap over last weekend and I definitely hear at least one or two valves that are ticking. I will pull the covers and check all the valves as soon as I get the parts.

I have just about 300 miles on the heads and regrinds.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good luck finding that spring compressor. I've been calling all the local auto parts stores and even a couple dealerships and nobody has them. The dealer told me they could order one for me but it would take 2-3 weeks before they got it......LOL

Anyway, I'm waiting for Lidio from Alternative Auto to call be back. His shop is right up the road from where I work and I left a message seeing if he might have any shims that he would sell to me. If he does, I might see if I can possibly pay to rent one of their valve spring tools from them or possibly even just buy one of their used ones (if they could spare it).

So far the best price I've found for the valve spring compressor has been $66.11 Here's the URL:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-7928.html

Later,
Jon P.

·
Registered
580 Posts
check with some more local dealers or Randy S. I got my local for 65 and it only took 3 days to get.(spring compressor that is). Makes small work of it from there as long as you watch so your ratainers dont fall off...

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Well as far as my car it is still up in the air as to what happened. But let me tell you this, this motor has been through hell and back more than once. It has seen numerous revs to 7k terrority, ALOT of nitrous and i mean ALOT. The motor always saw a 150shot from 50k miles to 100k. With an average of 1-2 bottles per week through spring and summer. I was having problems with my old NX kit leaning out alot as well so im sure that did some damage. The motor was tired 110k miles on it and i did drive it very hard. it was a street driven daily driver that was making tons of power. I think the motor just gave out. I do not think it was because of the regrind cams, but i cant make a definite decision until i pull the other cover off to see if anything was broken. But from the noises i heard it was coming from the passenger side and we pulled that cover everything was fine. As far as the valves, pistons, rings, rods, who knows until, i go deeper into it. My guess its either a ring, or i spun a bearing.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Madi98GT said:
I wonder how many head swap folks who kept the stock PI cams are having these problems....:confused:

i've got the stock PI cams, and no problems....well, besides low on power. :lol: (my car is getting dyno'd this saturday, so we'll see what that X pipe and pullies did)

I've put 6,412 miles on my car since the swap. Couple trips from Tallahassee to Ft. Lauderdale, being 450 miles one way....averaging 23 mpg on the highway, and about 17 on the city. WITH 3.73 gears too. :cool:

·
Registered
441 Posts
a week after I did my headswap I drove about 2000 miles in a week...car runs fine and I have never had any problems at all...I also am using the stock 99 cams....

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I really contiplated (sp?)getting re-grinds, but after seeing all the problems people had with them I decided not too. I don't need valve springs to break. Or any funny valve train noises. I will save that money for a short block or a blower. I don't want that kind of headache!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the stock 99+ cams on mine. It runs very quiet. No problems at all to this point.

Doug

1 - 15 of 15 Posts