Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of underdrive pulleys from BBK. The instalation instructions were very limited. Could someone give me some help?
1. I've heard that an impact wrench was neded for the alt., could someone explain?
2. Is there any special tools needed like pullers?
3. Anything else I should know before I go in?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
i took out the radiator over flow bottle, but you don't HAVE too..

the bolts on the water pump and crank are (i think) somewhere between 10-15mm... just keep the belt on and use a socket wrench to get them started.. then pop off the belt, undo the blots the rest of the way. put the new waterpump and crank pullies on, get the bolts kinda tight.. put the belt back on (will be tight, if the old belt even fits after that), and tighten the bolts the rest of the way.

my stock belt fit (barely) but i didn't use the alternator pulley becuase i didn't have an impact wrench, and i didn't feel like taking out the alternator and taking it to autozone to have them change it, since i would have had to have purchased a new belt after that too.

btw, my dash lights dim at night with the stereo on (stock mach 460) and the heater/fan going at idle.. but i have not had any charging problems.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Well i just installed those BBk alumium pullies u have, i like them, Yea charging(according to the gauge) is a little low on idle , but as soon as u give the car gas, it picks up to normal. And how sits idleing all day anyhow. I havent had any charging problems, and anyone with a 94-95 GT already has the 130 amp alt stock, so that isnt an issue. Cooling stays the same, with these pullies atleast. Does add some power, it wil pull harder and longer.
Instal is pretty much striaght forward.

-- First u will want to loosen the four 1/2" bolts holding the water pump (dont remove them yet).

--then take out the four 1/2" or 12mm bolts on the crank pulley

--Take belt off now.

--then unbolt the 2 bolts holding on the Alternator
(unplug conections also) and unbolt gound wire.

-- once u have the alt off take water pump bolts off alogn with pulley.

--get the belt out of the way and take the Alt, to any shop or parts place, get them to pull it the old pulley for free.

To install...first bolt the alt back in (plug conectors back in)

---then bolt up the crank pulley and water pump pulley

-- next re-install the belt ( it will be tight, but it still will fit fine)
use some muscles to get that baby back on.

-- Then tighten up all bolts, torque to specs, and your done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installed

Thanks to everyone for their input. I finished the instal myself with no problems. The differance in performance was very noticable. Have a nice day...Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts