Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy of mine did a valve spring upgrade to his stock heads... apparently he forgot to install on of his pushords on cylinder number 1..(it was the exhaust side). He fired the motor up and it ran for about 6 to 7 seconds max.... of course a loud slapping sound was heard and thats when it was shut down and i told him to take valve cover off and noticed no pushrod.... now..with that being the exhaust side pushrod.... if he puts that pushrod back in and refires it... it should be fine, right?? if not do u think it fk'd anything up... thanks!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
man, I'm sorry to hear that happened,

Do you see any visual wear?

Not sure, but couldn't there be a chance of valve trouble?

If you have a digital camera, you can post the pics of the damage if you see any and someone more knowledgeable than I could probably diagnose it or at least give you a ball-park range of what could have happened.

Are they stock E7 heads, stock rockers, stock pushrods?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I would imagine without the valve spring keeping pressure on the pushrod/lifter/cam lobe, the lifter itself may have been tossed around quite violently. Not sure if that could cause damage though.

Greg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah

yeah they are stock heads and he heads are on the car.... so there is no way to see visually what happened.... but with the retainers on the lifters (and the tray holding it down) the lifter should be fine.... i am assuming the noise was pressure build up in the cylinder and no exhaust valve opening to let the exhaust out... but yeah.. stock heads, cobra style roller rockers and ford racing pushrods... i will find out tonight.. thanks

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Shouldnt have hurt a thing. The lifter should be checked though to make sure its still seated and in its proper location. Throw the pushrod back in and fire it up.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Re: yeah

chrisdf_382 said:
.... but with the retainers on the lifters (and the tray holding it down) the lifter should be fine....
The spider retainer and dog bones only prevent the lifter from turning in the lifter bore. They'll still go up and down quite easily. Enough to cause damage to the lifter or cam lobe.........may'be, may'be not. Put the pushrod in and find out.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts