1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
define getting hot

does it get hot, then start to cool down

does it get hot and stay hot

does it get hot then cool down, then get hot again?

·
Registered
481 Posts
It helps those of us that want to help you to provide as much information as possible. Such as exactly what you experienced, when did it happen, had you done anything recently to the car, what have you done about it since, etc.

However, the first thing that comes to my mind is a stuck thermostat. You could also tell this by feeling your radiator (with the engine off and fan not running, of course). If it's cool all over, you may have a stuck thermostat. If it's cool in places and hot in others, your radiator might be clogged up.

Of course, there are a lot of other things it could be, too. But a sudden change seems to lean in a thermostat direction.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry guys..Somehow my write up on this post disappeared..To make this quick..I installed a new water pump and supposedly a shop installed a new thermostat..Lately my temp guage has been going haywire..Every since the water pump was installed my cooling system has been overheating....Buddy told me the first time it overheated that whoever installed my water pump forget to free the system of air pockets. Well he burped the system for me a week ago and everything was fine...I added some water wetter the other day but car was at FULL HOT level so the system started spilling over out the overfill after driving a while...Well all day yesterday temp gauge stayed midway until last night before posting this. After a few WOT runs it went past midway and eventually started boiling and smoking..the pressure in the radiator was so high coolant was trying to spit out of the cap...I'm just trying to figure out what's going on??

I have a defective fan blade but i don't think that plays that big of a part in this problem..

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

BTW..This didn't start happening until after I installed my aluminum heads and cobra intake...It wasn't even this bad then really..... For some odd reason my old water pump died the same day I had my Catback system and hi flo cats installed

Thanks!
car has 139K miles on it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are you running underdrive pulleys? Also, what was the air temp? I have a problem running hot with my pullies when it is hot outside.

·
Registered
130 Posts
jyanna said:
Are you running underdrive pulleys? Also, what was the air temp? I have a problem running hot with my pullies when it is hot outside.
Yes I do have underdrive pullies also. The air temp outside was 55 degrees. I've been running underdrive pulleys for 5 years on the ford water pump from 89.. I never had this type of problem..I've been reading a few threads that stated some were having the same problem after their cobra intake install. Wonder if this might have anything to do with it..

to be safe, I put a new thermostat on the car again and had a local radiator shop do an inspection..THey told me that the thermostat probably just was sticking and to change it anyway..Also they told me that my radiator (being its got 140K miles) was 40 to 50 percent clogged and suggested i install a 3 row radiator?? I'm not mechanically inclined so they told me they would install one for 200 bucks parts/labor. Is there anything in one of the mustang mags that I can find cheaper thats more efficient that what I have? Is this 3 row radiator they mention any good?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
from what it sounds like you having the same problem i did

umm
check your passenger floor board and see if you are leaking coolant, it could be your heater core, but i was having the same problem with the spuraticly jump up and down

first i replaced the sending unit, its wel worth your money to spend the three bucks on this lil feller and if that fixes the problem then good, if not, i would check your heater core, i might be clogging up

hope i've helped

also, yes three core is probably the best you can get

it will help lots

i dunno about labor i changed mine my self, and sugest you do the same, you'll save your self a lot

·
Registered
130 Posts
Eldor-stang said:
from what it sounds like you having the same problem i did

umm
check your passenger floor board and see if you are leaking coolant, it could be your heater core, but i was having the same problem with the spuraticly jump up and down

first i replaced the sending unit, its wel worth your money to spend the three bucks on this lil feller and if that fixes the problem then good, if not, i would check your heater core, i might be clogging up

hope i've helped

also, yes three core is probably the best you can get

it will help lots

i dunno about labor i changed mine my self, and sugest you do the same, you'll save your self a lot
When I had the headwork, they bypassed my heater core
I'm not seeing any leaks or anything..Also I just took my car out on the highway and things seemed fine until I got off a traffic filled exit 15 min down the HWY.. WHile i was sitting in the traffic, the needle immediately shot up to a notch before the red and barely tipped above it..I pulled over and popped the hood...I didn't see any smoke or signs of overheating..The overfill resevoir was at the full mark and things seemed fine. When I got back on the HWY on the way back home, the temp came down midway.. I made some WOT runs near home to really get the engine hot and pressure high..Needle went back up toward the same notch. Popped the hood and again, no smoking/boiling sounds and everything seemed fine.. I am cluessless:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts