Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,439 Posts
You should be able to get a tailshaft from any C4 in a junkyard, they're all the same except for 4wd obviously.

The output shaft will have some slop in it, what direction is the slop in? side to side, front to back?

· Registered
1,439 Posts
If there weren't any sudden stops of the tranny i would think it'd be ok still. What kind of u-joint was it? My friend got a set of greaseable ones from AutoZone for his Yukon and broke one, turns out the grease hole was drilled off center and that caused it to fail.

· Registered
1,439 Posts
Well, if it beat around enough to break the tailshaft housing it could've broken something. Basically the things it could hurt is the output shaft bearing/bushing, and the output drum and related components if it wobbled too much.

I guess a transmission shop or a Ford dealer might be able to get one, but a junkyard would be where I'd look. I got a whole C4 for $30, so you shouldn't pay over 20-25 for just the tailshaft housing, if even that much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.