Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 372 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
Only thing i cant figure out is having a more shallow valve angle without raising the runner... why not do a raised runner 11 degree tw head and make spacers for the runners and a valley tray or just make a separate intake for it? The sbf is severely lacking on raised runner heads other than the victor line and blue thunder heads off the top of my head. Surely there is a market for trick flow to make a 11 degree raised runner head

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

· Vendor
13,553 Posts
Only thing i cant figure out is having a more shallow valve angle without raising the runner... why not do a raised runner 11 degree tw head and make spacers for the runners and a valley tray or just make a separate intake for it? The sbf is severely lacking on raised runner heads other than the victor line and blue thunder heads off the top of my head. Surely there is a market for trick flow to make a 11 degree raised runner head

Hypothetical, purely. How many do you alienate instantly? How many summit type buyers are conventional saturday afternoon guys versus more of the hardcore. One can surmise that 75% of the purchasing population dont even know or care what a raised runner is.

How about this, what if the new head makes a solid 20-25 more back to back than its current counterpart and the new head costs nearly the same? Your market window is now everyone instead of 10% of the raised runner crowd. One can only imagine the sheer cost of the project on top of it all.

I see it from the other side as some do and it would be cool, but sometimes cool is not in the cards. I mean look at the traditional twisted wedge pedigree and what its done.

More than anything, they went to the 8mm stem size (cool) and the 1.300 spring (cool) also clearanced for a 3/8ths pushrod these points can not be dismissed in the entire conversation.

I think its great they are still hard at work making heads for these dinosaurs.

Pure hypothesis from my side of the fence

· Registered
290 Posts
I understand what you are saying from the general populace standpoint, but you can then take the same question and point it to the chevy crowd. How many variations of a raised runner head are there? 15 degree, 18 degree and i am sure there is an 11 degree as well in the hardcore section. There is more than enough market to support making that many variations and i know everyone isnt racing chevys because they like them. They run them because the parts are there. How difficult would it be to take the same head here and make a raised runner version of it as well? I am willing to bet when the twisted wedge patent runs out, someone is going to do it. We both know one would be bad ass.

· Registered
6,009 Posts
Hypothetical, purely. How many do you alienate instantly? How many summit type buyers are conventional saturday afternoon guys versus more of the hardcore. One can surmise that 75% of the purchasing population dont even know or care what a raised runner is.

How about this, what if the new head makes a solid 20-25 more back to back than its current counterpart and the new head costs nearly the same? Your market window is now everyone instead of 10% of the raised runner crowd. One can only imagine the sheer cost of the project on top of it all.

I see it from the other side as some do and it would be cool, but sometimes cool is not in the cards. I mean look at the traditional twisted wedge pedigree and what its done.

More than anything, they went to the 8mm stem size (cool) and the 1.300 spring (cool) also clearanced for a 3/8ths pushrod these points can not be dismissed in the entire conversation.

I think its great they are still hard at work making heads for these dinosaurs.

Pure hypothesis from my side of the fence
If they made a raised port head and a single plane intake with injector bungs cast in so it could either way, and they could sell it at a price similar to heads and intakes they already sell. When people start breaking the 500whp mark regularly with this stuff, you bet you will see less people buying TW205s and SV intakes for their Windsors and buying the new 500whp+ recipe.

· Registered
290 Posts
If they made a raised port head and a single plane intake with injector bungs cast in so it could either way, and they could sell it at a price similar to heads and intakes they already sell. When people start breaking the 500whp mark regularly with this stuff, you bet you will see less people buying TW205s and SV intakes for their Windsors and buying the new 500whp+ recipe.
Exactly my point. Also there was enough demand for the highport that they brought it back, imagine what the demand would be for a twisted wedge high exhaust port raised runner head that uses the same headers as the highports do and a sv style raised runner intake as goody said

· Registered
290 Posts
There was enough demand for a cleveland head that they made one as well as 2 intakes for putting it on a windsor. There is also an FE head in the works from what i was told. Trick flow/summit isnt above making heads for dinosaurs at all thank goodness, i just think there is a very largely untapped market for a race inspired head for a sbf

· Vendor
13,553 Posts
Exactly my point. Also there was enough demand for the highport that they brought it back, imagine what the demand would be for a twisted wedge high exhaust port raised runner head that uses the same headers as the highports do and a sv style raised runner intake as goody said

AFR got a raised runner head?

· Old timer
6,933 Posts
AFR got a raised runner head?
Not for a Ford but there is a manufacturer working on one...

At least that's what "my birdie" is tellin' me... :p

· Registered
290 Posts
Nope, and if they did i would probably buy it, although i dont really buy into the afr hype. Just means tf wouldnt have competition with the head. The reason i bought a set of highports was it was the best head in my price range. I was looking at victors, but dont want to have to buy shaft rockers. If they had a raised runner head i would have bought that instead, priced accordingly of course.

· Vendor
13,553 Posts
Not for a Ford but there is a manufacturer working on one...

At least that's what "my birdie" is tellin' me... :p
I am more than game for one, my gut tells me making a wedge head a raised runner, bad ass piece with an intake etc would be odd, where in the world does the hi port fit then from the perspective of the mass majority of "car" guys. Disparity is needed between the heads in this case.

No arguement on the needs of a raised runner, I just dont see it for the wedge.

1 - 20 of 372 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.