Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only been around the Ford Mustang/Lightning scene since 2000, but I have seen firsthand some truly amazing cars. High horsepower coupes, stylish convertibles, street cars, drag only cars, and open track runners. They have all been pretty one sided in their duties. Never once did any of these cars truly say, "I am the total package."

Everyone pretty much knows me as being a straight-forward kinda guy. Doesn't matter whether you like me, or hate me, one thing that can always be said is I don't kiss anyones a$$, and I call the shots how I truly see them.

Well, let me tell you a long story about what I think has got to be the most incredible car I have had the pleasure of riding in.

The recipe goes like this: take 1- 2001 True Blue SVT Cobra, twin- 35mm turbos, an Al Pappito custom intake, Custom exhaust, full Griggs suspension, leave all the accessories in place, at full weight, and drive on 325 series Nitto Drag Radials. Then throw in the builder/fabricator/designer Jake Lamotta, and you have one serious menu full of reliable and astonishing horsepower.

I was at the shop today, and was lucky enough to ride along with Jake, to get a sense of what this car was like. You see, he was telling me about being at the track the night before, on a typical Florida summer evening in the 83° range with 100% humidity, and he was testing the car out. This 01 TT Cobra ran [email protected] with a lousy 2.26 60' time. Not only did it spin through the first sixty feet, but it continued to light 'em up all the way through the traps. Witnesses told him they could see and hear the 325 DR's spin and screech all the way to the lights. Oh, and I forgot to mention, this was still on the IRS from the factory. I was floored, and then he asked if I wanted to take a ride. Hmmm, YES!

This car is performing is duties with 11# of boost, making 620rwhp, and only my poor memory keeps me from telling you how much torque. But the unbelievable part to this car is, it is doing all of this while retaining its "stock" like road manners. Whisper silent exhaust put out through the Bassani X and UltraFlows. The power makes it to the ground via a T-56 ultra-smooth transmission. You wouldn't know this car had anything in it, if you were driving next to it, trying to get it to race. But in every gear, at just shy of 3800rpms, this Cobra unleashes a fury that I have never witnessed before in my 31 years on this planet. Save all of your 03 Cobra stories, they couldn't hold a candle to this car. Flat out, this is the most inspiring street/strip/track car I have ever ridden in. Did I drive it? No, I actually declined because of my theory in life, "if you can't buy it, don't try it."

This Cobra was driven to FFW Virginia, and still maintained 26mpg on the long drive. It sits low, and sounds stock. The full stock heavy leather interior, the Mach460 sound system, A/C, power steering, everything, is retained in this beast. Hell, it still has that dinky spare tire in the trunk. But this is far from your everyday 2001 Cobra. This is the Cobra people like me, only dream they had. When Jake and I exited the car, he expressed a grin from ear to ear, and all I could say in repetition was, "Jake, that thing is sic!"

There are a lot of bullshiit performance shops these days. Some are riddled with fraud accusations, others have been deemed the Customer Service Hellmouth, and some just aren't worthy to work on old Buick Century's. Jake Lamotta continues to build some of the best performance Mustangs/Cobras on the street and strip today. I feel he doesn't get the credit and respect he deserves. So, to Jake I will say "Bravo brother, you have created another monster, and I wish you and shop the best of luck."

My next car is being planned out right now, another N/A Mod Motor, and while some things are still being decided upon, one issue is closed, Lamotta Performance will be my shop of choice.

...now if I can only get a ride in Jake/Christina's new big turbo coupe! :evil:

Sorry, just thought some credit should be given where it was due. I will go on the record and say I voted for Lamotta for Mod Person of the Year. He deserves it!

Joe Monaghen

·
Registered
252 Posts
This car was at Speed World last night? I was there but didn't see it. Damn - I would love to have checked it out. I ran 3 times early and once later on but didn't see it. My best last night was 13.20 @ 106 with a 2.09 60' - I'm still learning how to drive this thing. I need to meet Jake - haven't had the pleasure as of yet. I'll be looking to him for building my rear end before I move to slicks - my traction situation sucks - even with DR's. I think I'm already suffering from the one wheel peel - given I only had DR rubber caked on one side after checking things out last night.

Joe, Jackie, Aluminum - I'd like to hook up with you guys some time at the track. I've only been into the mod motor mustang gig for around 6 months now. I want to meet some locals with the same passion.

Dan

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yeah, Jake and Lamotta performance is awesome. When my 90 5.0's engine bit the dust, he found me a nice little engine :) and helped me get my car back on the road for a very resonable price (hey, I was a struggling college student). I wouldnt hesitate to recommend his shop to anyone. And when you are at Speedworld and happen to see one of Jake's built cars, you do leave amazed. Does he still have that TT SVO with the modular 4 valve? WOW what a crazy car!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I feel he doesn't get the credit and respect he deserves. So, to Jake I will say "Bravo brother, you have created another monster, and I wish you and shop the best of luck."
Great quote, hes not on corral though.

Joe couldn't agree more with you , I have ref him so many times now and everyone always comes back thanks. thanks thanks.. there are 2 other mustang shops in the area, and jake takes them hands down.

Joe we needa meet up, I sold the n20 kit today, and having jake put a s-trim on in probally a month.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, Jake does occasionally read the board. He doesn't post, because he is a smart business man. He lets his cars and customers do the talking.

Joe, anytime you wanna meet up, I am sure I can. Especially if its at the Winghouse! Hmm, fooooood!

joe

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Damn wait till Adam reads this post.. Very nice. Sounds like the car is a beast.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
J.Monaghen said:
Actually, Jake does occasionally read the board. He doesn't post, because he is a smart business man. He lets his cars and customers do the talking.

Joe, anytime you wanna meet up, I am sure I can. Especially if its at the Winghouse! Hmm, fooooood!

joe

i think you guys should do this when i'm on my way back to south FL....i'll stop for some wings. :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
did Jake race the cobra? what class? or did he put it in the car show?? sounds like a badass machine, would of loved to see it there at FFW in Va.!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: How much hp?

aerospec172 said:
What is this twin turbo beast putting put torque and hp wise?
The car is putting down 620rwhp/???rwtq. I forget what he told me, I can inquire next week, and get that fact back to you. Mind you, this is only at 11# of boost. The wick hasn't even been lit yet. Car probably has 700-740 in it, in its current form.

Originally said by Matt:
i think you guys should do this when i'm on my way back to south FL....i'll stop for some wings
Matt, you got my number, call anytime you want to meet up. I got a place for you to crash if you get too loopy to drive.

Joe

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Re: Re: How much hp?

J.Monaghen said:

Matt, you got my number, call anytime you want to meet up. I got a place for you to crash if you get too loopy to drive.

Joe

i don't have your number. :confused: i pm'd you my cell number back during FFW gainesville....

thanks for the offer, none-the-less. I'm heading about around august 2-3rd. I'd like for you to drive my car for another opinion on whether something is wrong with it or not.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sweet, man I cant wait till I graduate I got till the spring of '04

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
rancid said:
Damn wait till Adam reads this post.. Very nice. Sounds like the car is a beast.
OMFG what a truly amazing car. Joe, if what you say impressed you as much as it did, I can only wait... Great write-up!

-Adam

1 - 20 of 22 Posts