Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
the chains are reused i figured the tensioners would compensate because when i tried to use the new chains from the kit no amount of prying would let the tensioner slip into place, there just wasnt enough slack
that might be your issue. New chains not working is a red flag imho
i hate to say it but you might need to start over. I've installed boatloads of modular gears/chains/cams and never ran into this.
Are you using metal or plastic tensioners? There is a ratchet mechanism in the metal tensioners and if you don't properly collapse them it might cause problems like this

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
that might be your issue. New chains not working is a red flag imho
i hate to say it but you might need to start over. I've installed boatloads of modular gears/chains/cams and never ran into this.
Are you using metal or plastic tensioners? There is a ratchet mechanism in the metal tensioners and if you don't properly collapse them it might cause problems like this
I set 1st to tdc then just took every thing off and decided to start again with the new chains i couldnt get on the first time, this time i was able to get the drivers side on and now i need to reset the passenger side tensioner which is being a PITA, but things are going better now

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Glad to hear that
few hours later now, got the passenger side on and turns over great no slack in the wrong places as previous, i really appreciate the help man! aswell I put the timing cover on and no clearance issue (Thankkkk Goddddd), only noise i hear is a little barely audible click/tapping (with valve covers off) from the valve train that im assuming is the valves closing or the springs settling, I bet itll just go away once i put the covers on.

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
So, when removing the crank pulley i could hear the release of sideways tension on the chain, and the sprocket returning to position there is a tiny gap inbetween my crank sprockets, the crank spacer is only for the thin trigger wheel correct?

·
Registered
97 Posts
i believe its the timing cover, clank sounded like it was coming from the crank sprocket area, very obviously a metal on metal
Did you replace the timing components? I bought and installed the MMR timing kit (crank sprocket, chains, guides and tensioners). The crank sprocket had a lip on one side that prevented me from being able to get the timing cover on. I had to reinstall the OEM crank sprocket.

EDIT: Looks like I posted before I read the full thread. Disregard.

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The “protruding sides” as you put it of the lower sprockets should be facing each other inward so as to set the sprockets farther apart. You have them on wrong.
you sir are a godsend, very sorry for my absence lately, ive been taking a bit of a break from dirtying my hands, I was going to try this tomorrow may 14 and I will report back! thank you all so much for the help I really want my stang back!!

41 - 60 of 62 Posts