Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished rebuilding the 4.6 outta my 98 a few days ago. it turned over great without any noises the day I set the timing. Now after sitting for about half a week fully assembled ready to go in, I decide to try and turn it by hand and it feels as if the crank is hitting some resistance and then it releases with a double clank and I can turn further, it makes this sound about 2-3 times per rotation. Can anybody offer me any clue as to what possibly happened, im very frusterated as I was about to put it in this upcoming weekend.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!!

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your timing cover installed? Are you turning clockwise?
hello, i just took the time to take the valve covers and timing cover back off to see what is possibly going on, im turning clockwise, somehow both chains jumped 4 teeth, luckily the motor is still in time, and it turns over smooth as butter no clank with the timing cover and valve cover off, im completely puzzled

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4 teeth sounds like a lot.
need to know more about what has been done to this engine.
did you line up all of the marks and links on the timing chains?
I did a full rebuild after purchasing and getting rod knock in less than a week, I lined up the marks on the timing chain with the correct marks on the cams and crank sprocket with the #1 piston at tdc, I took the pin out of both tensioners already

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im using the stock cam sprockets but duralast crank sprockets that came with my timing kit as they had a bit less play than the ones with 210k miles, aswell as duralast tensioner which im sure is just outsourced chinese crap i suppose, i believe i have the thick trigger wheel

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I probably turned it over maybe 2-3 possibly 4 full rotations to verify where i was hearing the clunk, in just those few turns it somehow jumped the 4 teeth on both crank sprockets and both cam sprockets, im totally lost

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no its definitely jumped, i turned it over 4-7 times once i had the cover off, and at no point did the original marks line up, so i lined up all the timing marks and on all 4 sprockets all are off by 4, also yes it is on a stand at this time

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i believe its the timing cover, clank sounded like it was coming from the crank sprocket area, very obviously a metal on metal

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I dont have one on hand at the moment, aswell i compared the original crank sprockets with the new ones when installing and they were identical thickness, both being the double sprocket design. the crrank sprockets are the "adjustable design" with the different settings to advance timing and such, both are on 0, also i did not use the spacer as online it said i should use it with the thin trigger wheel.

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
if this makes sense theres like a portruding side and a flat/indented side to both sprockets, i installed both with the portruding side facing out, and the more flat side towards the rear

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
There was some additional slack on the driver side bank flat side, but after 200 or so degrees of turning most of the slack went to the tensioner side, but there is still a little on the flat side, noticably more than the passenger side bank which is pretty stiff on the flat side

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
just went to turn it over by hand a bunch more, the slack is only ever on this driver side once every couple rotations Crankset Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Rim

·
Registered
1998 Mustang GT 5spd
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
the chains are reused i figured the tensioners would compensate because when i tried to use the new chains from the kit no amount of prying would let the tensioner slip into place, there just wasnt enough slack

1 - 20 of 29 Posts