Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn my key to the on position the pump should just run and bring the fuel system up to presure...

but, for some reason it just runs and runs and runs... and the engine will not start...

I would have to asume that it is broke and not pumping...?

any comments as to what it is doing, and should I replace it...?

thanks

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
did you check the relays for the pump? on the foxbodys i believe the realys are under the drivers seat, sounds like it could be stuck or something.....

are your fuel lines ok? i think the pump only stopos when the system is pressureized, i am not sure, but someone correct me if i am wrong

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can hear the relay click when I turn the key... but not sure what they are supposed to do...

the pump appears to be working, it runs and just runs and runs... but I would think that the car would start if there was fuel...

I check the tank and it has fuel in it... and I added 3 gallons just for a double check...

I can hear what sounds like air or presure releaseing from the lines under the intake... but don't really know if that is normal either...

my guess is, relays. or just a working but not pumping pump...??

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
if the pump is making noise then its working.....

the relays should click when you turn them on and off...

if you are hearing air under the intake then you might have a leak somewhere, does it smell like gas anywhere?

what did you do to the car that is making you have this problem, did you remove fuel lines, and/or your FPR??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing.... just drove it around the block for the first time in a month... parked it, gave it a quick bath... went to pull it in the garage and the battery was dead...

Went ahead and got a new Optima and the pump just runs...

I took the battery out of my 65 and same thing... so it is not the new battery... maybe something related to the dead battery screwed up the relay...?

no gas smell, and the intake is dry... I can just here some air presure something in the area of the intake and lines... but no gas or gas smell...

can I get these relay at Ford...? or regular auto place...?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
you can buy relays at just about any part store maybe, radio shack should have them too :)

if you can't find any there try stopping at a place that installs car alarms, i get all my relays from old car alarms from work :)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
double post

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I am willing to bet the FP relay is screwed...If you have no add on tuner or anything like that. If you do, check the connection on the J3 port. Otherwise I'd say the relay is shot...

·
Registered
226 Posts
It sounds like the relay is bad...but why won't the engine start? Maybe the relay is fine and your fuel pressure regulator is shot. If the FPR is shot and not allowing the system to pressurize, the pump would just keep running.

Pete

·
Registered
226 Posts
I can hear what sounds like air or presure releaseing from the lines under the intake... but don't really know if that is normal either...
Thinking about this a little more - if the diaphram in your FPR regulator broke, fuel would be going into the vacuum line on the FPR. That sound may be fuel being pumped into the intake through the vacuum line :eek: . Pull the vacuum line off your FPR and see if there's fuel in it. If so - bad FPR.

Pete

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pete91GT said:
Thinking about this a little more - if the diaphram in your FPR regulator broke, fuel would be going into the vacuum line on the FPR. That sound may be fuel being pumped into the intake through the vacuum line :eek: . Pull the vacuum line off your FPR and see if there's fuel in it. If so - bad FPR.

Pete
I had not thought of that, but now that I think about it. That makes complete sense.

I will check it out tonight, I guess it is time to get a nice adjustable one...!!!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
if that is the case you better clear that line or you will have a problem when you plug it in to the new FPR.......:eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
More than likely it's the FPR. Remember, on your car, all unused fuel is returned to the tank. All the relay does is to effect whether the pump turns on or not. Replace the FPR. It's a quick, cheap fix.

Steve

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
FYI guys, the car doesn't care what the feul pressure is. There is no sensor for feul pressure. The pump is supposed to run for a few seconds, not until base feul pressure is reached.

Have you checked for spark? Pulled the codes?

Takes a plug wire off and stuff a paper clip in it, hold paper clip close to a good ground, and have someone crank the car. Should see a nice fat blue spark.

·
Registered
117 Posts
With key on engine off ,pump should run for a second or so thin switch off till engine is started..
remember the battery swap,computer could need to be reset or could be stuffed altogether,do a reset (disconnect batt 4 5 min),if still happening ,pull the codes and or try another computer..

relay drives the pump,if pump is running relay must be ok,computer controls the relay........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Was there any solution to the problem?!? :confused:

My car is doing the exact same thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts