Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am in process of building a unique project (see the signature below). I have a 14,000 Navigator 5.4 DOHC with a Kenne Bell 2.2L blower on it. It is going in a '78 Cobra II... Lets not start the Charlies Angels commments... LOL...Anyway. I am having HUGE hood clearance issues with any intake/SC combos.... I am considering twin turbos.... The car is used 90% on the street (25-30,000 miles a year) plus 1% drag strip duty & then 9% open track road course time. This is totally new territory for me.. I will be using either DFI/FAST type engine control or maybe Anderson Ford Motorsports' new Extreeme engine management. I need input. Who can I go to for GOOD information? Who can help create the parts list to do this? Who has expereince with Turbo's with the MOd motors?

As always, thanks!

Rob Weeks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife's '89 is gettign the KB

Besides I don't understand why the car matters... :D

I really don't want to cut up the '89. My wife enjoys the car everyday... Thus my Kenne Bell will be going on the '89 AOD.

Aways remember some very important pieces of Mustang History:

The technology & items we all love about our Fox platforms was started in the Mustang II.

The orignal Mustang: taken DIRECTLY from the Falcon

The Mustang II: derived only its basic floor pan from the Pinto.

The Fox platform: was taken ENTIRELY from the Fairmont/Zephyr.

Rob Weeks

·
Registered
106 Posts
as for the twin turbo's, i would see a MAJOR space problem in a mustang II.. IF the car is used for open track you will not like how turbo's spool up all of a sudden.. can upset the car's balance easily.. At least thats what was happening to me that last time a had a turbo car.. A supercharger would be all the way better in your application... A few things on the FAST system.. I would stay as far away from that system as possible.. I just finished installing it and there were major problems..Email me for detail's, as i dont feel like bashing them in public....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More info about the car

Well, I should ahve said this part before....

The car is a Cobra II/Mustang II shell. Similar to the '01-'02 Mustang WHite cars the racers use.... it has a full Art Morrison frame, will have 10pt cage. etc... So the underhood area will be very much like a Pro-Stock/Pro-Street style front end... inner fender wells will be made after engine & accessories are in.

I was invisioning the turbos way up front behind each headlight area. Left & right of the radiator.

I hadn't considered the spool up on the open track events.

I was thinking about the "tuneabilty" of the turbos with diferent inlet & exhasut housings would make it easier to tune for all around power... unlike the rpm dependent centrif. SC's.

I guesss I am going to have to think more on this....

Rob

·
Registered
696 Posts
89twistyCpe said:
I have a 14,000 Navigator 5.4 DOHC with a Kenne Bell 2.2L blower on it.
I've never seen that combo before... I didn't know KB made a kit for 5.4 DOHC... must be custom?

Got any pics/dyno graphs?

I'd love to hear more on that combo... screw the turbos!!! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, now I am even more puzzled too...

I went looking this morning for info on the KB Nav set up & couldn't find anything more either...

All I know is I found a wrecked '01 Navigator in southern Missouri. with what I believe is the 2.2L KB screw on it....

It is definiely a screw blower... I took the blower off when I did the initial chassis set up.

I assumed that since it was a Ford application that KB had made the kit or done the custom kit.

I will see if I can get pics of the manifold & blower... The engine is at the machine shop now.

The height of the kit, from the intake surface to the top of the ilet elbow is nearly 13" tall... like a lightening.... I have maybe 7" overall with a stock or small (2") scoop.

I am considering a custom cowl hood with 3" of clearence... but still won't be enough as curently packaged.

Rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.kenne-bell.com/superchargers.asp

Lists an application for the 5.4 4V engine.... since KB hasn't come to the 20th century, let alone the 21st century, & doesn't have their website up <still> I cannot verify the actual part # of the kit...

I sent them an email requesting info.... Again, since it seems you can never get through to a human on thier tech line.

We shall see what I find next...

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
I find most amazing the fact you found a wrecked nav with a 5.4 that had a blower on it..lol, shnit like that never happens here:-(

BTW what kind of work are you doing to the 5.4, why not stay naturally aspirated??? You can get big power out of it, no?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am a sales rep. I found the engine in a little salvage yard in WAY deep southern Missouri. I was cruising along a 2 lane trying o make up some time... Out of the corner of my eye I saw a Navigator Grill against a chain link fence at a yard... I turned around & went back.... Some "Yoopty Brotha's" rollin on 20" chrome Dub's apparently hit a deer. Went into a nearby Caddy dealership bought an Escalade, picked up their 20" wheels & jetted. Left the truck in a parking lot. That is at least the story I got from the Sheriff. Truck had Georgia plates. The Sheriff thinks they were runnin from Atlanta to Kansas City.

Every once in a great while I get lucky. Most the time I just get my credit cards on fire & hope I don't catch fire from my lovely bride... LOL :eek:

LOL just kinda funny the way you worded that..... A Fox/Modular Turd is bad but a Cobra II/Modular Turd is ok?? :D

Thanks for the "good luck!"

Rob

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm no expert but if you want to use the car for 90% highway and 9% road race a 5.4 with twin turbos would be hard to manage (it would make an awesome drag machine though!. I would think that you would need to intercool the rig to be able to stay in boost constantly around a track (especially with pump gas), this may add to your clearance problems. With such a light rig you may not need/want the power level of a twin turbo 5.4 (my wild guess-600-700 hp?) for non-drag use. With that lil car on the street, 25-30k miles /year-geesh I can hardly hook up on the street with less than 400 hp. Very few 550+ HP cars that Ive ever come across are good for everyday street use. Drive one- youll see what I mean. Maybe Im just a wuss who hasnt owned a blown car long enough yet. Maybe rebuild the 5.4 N/A with high compression and a switchable chip for a 200 shot of juice when you need it! Just my 2 cents of BS. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.