Ford Mustang Forums banner

Turbo people...I need you..

729 views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Black01GT4.6 
#1 ·
Those of you that know me know I was going to transfer my Vortech SQ from my 2v to a forged 4v and up the boost.

I recently came upon a decent deal on a turbo and a tuner kit. After crunching some numbers I think I can actually do it for less, if not equal amounts of money.

I already have the 03 pumps and tank, I will sell the Vortech kit along with my brand new LTs, and pick up the turbo kit. I am wondering what else I would need from the tuner kit, if anything.

The saver here is I wont have to buy the stuff to transfer the blower over, like bracket, discharge tube, etc etc.

I need to know what all I need and what is involved, because before I do this I wanna make sure its cost effective, and Im not gonna be missing a bunch of stuff thats gonna cost me a ton later on.

Any info on turbos for these cars will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Black:

PM Cobra Killer he might be your best bet on getting the info you need.

#3 ·
I can help you out. What all turbo components do you have so far besides the turbo itself. Do you have any of these components?

- Cross over pipe
- Down pipe
- Exhaust manifolds for a turbo system
- Intercooler and piping
- Blow off valve
- Wastegate
- Y or H pipe after the downpipe
- v-band clamps?

The best bet is to sell your supercharger, longtubes, mid pipe for the LTs, bracket; but keep your fuel setup. None of those other items will be applicable to a turbo system.

Here is the list of items that Pro Turbo use for their turbo kits:

99-2001 Mustang Cobra 4.6 liter Street Kit –( 400-1000hp)
Dual 4 into 1 Tubular Mild Steel Headers w/ 1/2" Thick Laser Cut Header Flanges,
2 ½" Cross Over w/ Flex Connection,
3 ½" Down Pipe that splits into Dual 2 ¼"( Trademark ) to Long Tube H-Pipe,
Powder Coated Inlet Tubes,
All V Band Connections,
High Quality Silicone hoses w/ Aircraft Grade SS clamps,
Tial 38mm Billet Wastegate,
12 psi blow off valve,
3 Core Air/Air Bar & Plate Intercooler
D&D Tubular Front Suspension w/ Caster Camber plates and Coil over conversion
2003 Cobra Fuel Assy

Most turbo "tuner kits" come with the bare essentials to get the turbo kit running and usually only contain the turbo, piping, wastegate, bov, but no fuel, coating, or tuning products. Some do not even come with a intercooler. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions I will be more than happy to help you out.

#4 · (Edited)
I was planning to do exactly that, intertia. Sell the blower kit and LTs, keep my fuel stuff, I already have the chip.

Then get the turbo, and the turbo tuner kit.

The tuner kit comes with the following.

Tial 38mm Billet aluminum wastegate
Mitsu bypass valve good for up to 12 psi
24" long, 3" thick aluminum intercooler
2.5" intercooler tubing
Custom headers with ½" flanges and 1-3/4" primaries
2.5" front crossover tube with Stainless flex joint
3" downpipe
3" main/ 2.5" secondary y-pipe that connects to factory style cat-back exhaust system with ball socket flanges
2000 coating on hot parts
Silicone hose at all intercooler connections
Aircraft grade Stainless hose clamps
Aluminum relocation brackets for fuse box and PS reservoir
Grade 8 hardware
Black powdercoating on intercooler tubing

#9 ·
I understand, its a very hard decision I know. I have longtubes on my car rightnow and its going to come off when I make that final decision too. That is not until later this year. Keep us updated on your project man ...

As for the labor on installing a turbo on a car it really isnt all that bad. It does come with detailed instructions not to mention there are a few people over at www.turbomustangs.com that put on their own turbo kits. Either way I think it is worth it and damn that would kick aZz ... a turbo charged 4v! :)

#10 ·
I had to make the same decision that you're making now. I ended up going with a turbo setup from Turbolocity. Basically, I ended up spending right over $5k for most everything (thats w/ a 76mm turbo, upgraded intercooler/downpipe/y-pipe, coating, etc.). I figured I would have ended up spending just as much to get all get all the bracketry and mounting hardware to transfer my novi2k to the new 4v. I sold my blower for $3100 w/ intercooler, longtubes for $300, and midpipe for $100. So basically for $1500 more, I have a pretty solid turbo setup (praying for 750rwhp). We'll see.

Brad

#11 ·
Bkrom281 said:
I had to make the same decision that you're making now. I ended up going with a turbo setup from Turbolocity. Basically, I ended up spending right over $5k for most everything (thats w/ a 76mm turbo, upgraded intercooler/downpipe/y-pipe, coating, etc.). I figured I would have ended up spending just as much to get all get all the bracketry and mounting hardware to transfer my novi2k to the new 4v. I sold my blower for $3100 w/ intercooler, longtubes for $300, and midpipe for $100. So basically for $1500 more, I have a pretty solid turbo setup (praying for 750rwhp). We'll see.

Brad
Are you the Brad from turbolocity?

How was labor for the kit?

Id be going with the 67mm, and upgraded stuff.

#13 ·
No, it is not going to require a new computer nor a return style system. I will be going with a returnless type setup with '03 Cobra Fuel tank and '03 Cobra fuel pumps upgraded by Apten. There are several turbo modulars running this setup and do not have to replace the OEM computer either. Some guys do switch over to a FAST, AEM or DFI units depending on their goals.

Do not give up on your projects because you might regret it later. If you truely want a turbo setup and then you should go for it 100%. Keep in mind, there are a lot of fellow mustang bros running Novi 2000s, F1s, T/TJ Trim superchargers and are happy with their setups as well getting them into the 10s too. :)

#16 ·
snipe656 said:
I thought nitrous pete was making well over that power level and still using the returnless setup on his Cobra or did he switch out?
I was thinking the same thing. What about that yellow 03 cobra that the mustangs mags did a story about a few months ago, the one that was built at strictly performance? He was running KB plus a 75 shot and I know they said he had like 700+ HP or something like that and he was running a returnless system.

#21 ·
Nitrous will make more power for a given amount of fuel than a blower/turbo due to the cooler and denser air charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.