Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Im lookin for a turbo for my stock 85 5.0, its currently in my back yard and im getting new tires for it but it will be my daily driver it has under 90k miles on it and im not trying to spend more than 1300 on the turbo. I want a good turbo but im not really sure what im lookin for since im new to the car scene and this is my first truck (me and a buddy are doin all the work ourselves) it is an F-150 XLT but that forum didnt have anything for a vehicle as old as mine. Anyone no of anything that would be what im lookin for?

·
Banned
25,617 Posts
nothing good will be cheap

there is nothing built for your application

you will need to size it yourself

and you will spend 3 times your budget without a problem

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
1300 isn't even enough for a kit. Even the cheap on3 kit which would still need to be modified is over 2k. Plus you still need to address fuel concerns and probably upgrade your carb to a blow through design. You should expect to pay 4k at a minimum.

·
Registered
517 Posts
1300 for just the turbo or 1300 to completely turbocharge your truck?

Cause you can find a good turbine that fits your budget, but are a bit far off if you're looking to spend that amount on the entire set-up.

·
Registered
231 Posts
By the time you’re done modifying that kit you could have paid someone to build a correct fitting turbo setup..
Nothing is easy or cheap. I’m just finishing up a turbo system almost 2 years there is a lot to take in consideration.
Best advice would be baby steps intake and cam if you must mod. Honestly stock with an exhaust would be my route.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Ok. You have big dreams of lots of power. I get that. I was that kid once myself. I don't want to dash your dreams, but I am going to temper with some reality. You can't just put a turbo on something and make big power despite what you read online or see on youtube or the 'gram. A lifetime in the hobby has shown me that whatever you think it will cost...it will cost 2-4 times that. If you do get big power you will also have to build up the transmission, suspension and brakes to utilize and contain that power. You will also have to beef up the chassis. If you can't get enough fuel to it, it won't matter. A proper fuel system for 600 hp will cost around a grand, at least. Parts are one cost. Labor is another, and often as high or higher than the parts. Don't give up the dream. But educate yourself on the real costs you face and your ability to spend towards them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok. You have big dreams of lots of power. I get that. I was that kid once myself. I don't want to dash your dreams, but I am going to temper with some reality. You can't just put a turbo on something and make big power despite what you read online or see on youtube or the 'gram. A lifetime in the hobby has shown me that whatever you think it will cost...it will cost 2-4 times that. If you do get big power you will also have to build up the transmission, suspension and brakes to utilize and contain that power. You will also have to beef up the chassis. If you can't get enough fuel to it, it won't matter. A proper fuel system for 600 hp will cost around a grand, at least. Parts are one cost. Labor is another, and often as high or higher than the parts. Don't give up the dream. But educate yourself on the real costs you face and your ability to spend towards them.
Thanks thats good to know i was thinkin it might be a little more but not that much more in all but It was probably gonna be just a turbo for the truck and then find a better car to mod on with not such a big shell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.