Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to spend the next couple years doing a turbo build to drop into my stang in the future. From what I've gathered so far this is what I'm leaning toward.

Block: Boss 302
Pistons: Probe or Diamond
Rods: Oliver Billet I beams
Turbo: Garret GTX4202R with liquid to air intercooler
Heads: Opinions?
Cam: Opinions?
AEM Stand Alone Engine Management

along with a few other minor things such as fuel delivery and such, but those are the main points, any advice or opinions on what head/cam combo and what things I should definitely not forget to do? This will be my first block up build and I'm doing to as a learning experience and taking my time with it(will have someone experienced that will be helping me)

My ultimate goal is to make enough power to have something worth taking to TX2K in the future.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Nice!!! Sounds like a good build. What ci do u plan to run? Just know with the Boss u have shorter cylinder walls.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Dart would be a better choice if you don't already have the Boss block. No custom pistons required to go over 3.25 stroke. Off the shelf, your only choice is Mahle. I just don't like the short cylinders in the Boss.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you keep the stroke small, you will be fine. I have been running my Boss 306 for abt 4 years now with no issues at all, Been multiple 9sec passes and now multiple 8sec passes not to mention all the street miles.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
As far as strength is concerned, the Boss will handle anything you can throw it. I don't like having limitations on piston choices when going to a longer stroke.

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
If you don't have the block yet...I agree...go with a dart or R302 if you can find one. That being said...I run a 8.2" boss block in my coupe. The last 2 seasons I ran a 338 (3.25" stroke, 4.065" bore) combo making 800+ rwhp with a 76mm and 1000+rwhp with a pt88. This winter while freshing the motor I found out that the thrust on the crank was hurt pretty bad. So I bought a new rotating assembly. I went with a Callies compstar 3.25" crank and 5.4" h-beam rods. Went with a custom set of diamond 4.125" bore pistons that will make it a big bore 347. Using a block with longer cylinder walls definatly gives you more options with the stroke and pistons.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
so your boss block handled 1000 hp? well before finding issues

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
so your boss block handled 1000 hp? well before finding issues
Yes...just fine.
Here is my dyno graph from when I had my old T6 pt88 on the car.
Made 1009rwhp on a known conservative dyno....so I figure it was making every bit of 1200hp at the crank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only reason I was going with the boss block rather than dart is because I already planned on going with Diamond Custom Pistons, and possibly saving and investing in a billet crank, for the simple fact I want something that I can throw 1200 hp at and have it take it like a champ, so it's a matter of choosing the components to do that. Yeah, it may be the more expensive route, and most wouldn't go that far, but I never had this in blueprints as a cheap engine build.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Picked up a virgin Dart IE block(all 5 mains 4 bolt) for $1700. That'll take more than anyone needs. The deals are out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts