Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has come up many times in the past but I've never owned any and there seems to be newer revisions that I'm not up to date on. I'm running coilovers if it helps.
Are they worth it for the occasional run what you brung night? I'm talking once or twice a month until the blistering Phoenix summer hits.
How are they on a daily driver?
I like the simplicity and header clearance.
Opinions seem to be limited to whichever brand the poster owns and it's difficult to get an idea which brands are good quality.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
My QA1 K-member and control arms have been on my racecar for 5+ years without one issue. I would not hesitate to buy another one. On the 08' Bullitt I went with a BMR K-member and control arms. QA1 did not make one for the 08' model year at the time. The BMR stuff has worked real well on my street car, and would not hesitate to keep it on the car if it morphed into a drag car.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My QA1 K-member and control arms have been on my racecar for 5+ years without one issue. I would not hesitate to buy another one. On the 08' Bullitt I went with a BMR K-member and control arms. QA1 did not make one for the 08' model year at the time. The BMR stuff has worked real well on my street car, and would not hesitate to keep it on the car if it morphed into a drag car.
I hadn't looked at the QA1 piece. It looks stout and they redesigned it to address road handling. Very nice.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
IMO, PA Racing makes the best ones and they can build them custom to your application if needed based on different motor positions, etc..

I have a UPR mild steel one (black in color) in mine and it sucks. The bolts that are used to attach the A-arms into the K-member have to have the heads of the bolts ground nearly off in order to get the bolts to sit flat b/c the welds are too close to the holes.

I THINK the UPR one that is chromemoly is actually a QA1, it's silver in color.
ks

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great! What springs will you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have Strange struts and shocks. The fronts are coilovers. I believe the springs are 12-175 but they may be 14. I'm old.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol it’s ok. That’s a nice looking piece from QA1

It looks beefy and I wanted one made of mild steel. The UPR and Team Z pieces look like toothpicks. Lol

·
Registered
597 Posts
I’m thinking of going with the same setup and trying to figure out which size springs/ rate for up front

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m thinking of going with the same setup and trying to figure out which size springs/ rate for up front

Call Team Z for spring suggestion.

·
Registered
109 Posts
AJE has been working well for me, installed about a month ago so far so good and saved 40-50 lb off the nose.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
MM on mine. QA1 on another car. MM is MUCH better quality; although the QA1 does have a little more room for headers, etc. But on these poor roads, I question the QA1 K member's strength if I were to hit one of the billions of gigantic pot holes, or heaven forbid hit another car. Actually on the '92 GT, I put MM K member on it and MM control arms; and MM struts & MM coil over kit & MM rack bushings. They got a lot of my (small) paychecks. But I like the quality. VERY well made. MM gives you lots of options for roll centers engine mounting location, etc etc. Rack position is another option; basically you choose how you're going to use the car. In my case, street car but I live in the hills and tend to be a little spirited going home (over a 1000' hill and then the twisties on the other side); so handling takes precedence over straight line pulls. MM is also slightly more weight but still lighter than a factory k member. So far the MM stuff has been on the car about 3 years now; and roughly a thousand miles. I don't drive it much (yet).

Had QA1 (LCAs and K) on a 78 Fairmont Futura street car with a 4 cylinder (turbo). The car was light to begin with and removing the stock K and putting the QA! stuff on it made it a little lighter. I was always questioning it's strength when pushing it a little too hard into a switchback or running down the highway and suddently running into/over a massive hole in the pavement that is basically invisible. There's plenty of those around here. It fit ok. I had to mess with the mounts a little because of the 4 cylinder (it is designed for 5.0/5.8). Was no big deal really and was also personal preference. I'm pretty sure it would have been fine with the stock location I just never really messed with it; wanted to get the engine back as far as I could. Also most of the K's are designed around 90-93 which 90-93 has larger wheel openings than 79-86 and obviously bigger than the Fairmont's openings were. I ran 25.5" tires on it and had minimal clearance issues; but perhaps a drag race application (28"?), you will want to take note of how far the LCA's are moved forward. They do this to improve caster among other things. Also the LCA pickup points are a little wider similar to the V8 87-93's which is no problem on a 87-93 but can cause issues on cars like the original foxes. I had barely 1/2" clearance between fender and tire, actually had to slot out the strut mount holes and do some other "adjusting" to get some camber, so that the tires had some clearance. It looked and worked fine for street duty. If using the V8 style wider LCA pickup points, such as most of the aftermarket K's use, you will want to certainly take note of your spindle choice since the 96-04 spindles move the wheels out a little wider than the 94-95. This applies if you are going to (or already have) 5 lug obviously. You can kinda get yourself into a pickle if not careful (BTDT). I think I put about 50,000 miles on that turd. One of the few cars I actually kinda miss.

PA looks nice but I have no direct experience with them.

I've used Granatelli and I have them (K and lca's) on another car (86 coupe drag car) and the quality was sub par. Lightweight but real cheesy. Nothing lined up either. Had to cut the mounts off and run motor plates which is fine because of the car's application. The plates are easier to deal with (to me) anyway since I'm used to them.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MM on mine. QA1 on another car. MM is MUCH better quality; although the QA1 does have a little more room for headers, etc. But on these poor roads, I question the QA1 K member's strength if I were to hit one of the billions of gigantic pot holes, or heaven forbid hit another car. Actually on the '92 GT, I put MM K member on it and MM control arms; and MM struts & MM coil over kit & MM rack bushings. They got a lot of my (small) paychecks. But I like the quality. VERY well made. MM gives you lots of options for roll centers engine mounting location, etc etc. Rack position is another option; basically you choose how you're going to use the car. In my case, street car but I live in the hills and tend to be a little spirited going home (over a 1000' hill and then the twisties on the other side); so handling takes precedence over straight line pulls. MM is also slightly more weight but still lighter than a factory k member. So far the MM stuff has been on the car about 3 years now; and roughly a thousand miles. I don't drive it much (yet).

Had QA1 (LCAs and K) on a 78 Fairmont Futura street car with a 4 cylinder (turbo). The car was light to begin with and removing the stock K and putting the QA! stuff on it made it a little lighter. I was always questioning it's strength when pushing it a little too hard into a switchback or running down the highway and suddently running into/over a massive hole in the pavement that is basically invisible. There's plenty of those around here. It fit ok. I had to mess with the mounts a little because of the 4 cylinder (it is designed for 5.0/5.8). Was no big deal really and was also personal preference. I'm pretty sure it would have been fine with the stock location I just never really messed with it; wanted to get the engine back as far as I could. Also most of the K's are designed around 90-93 which 90-93 has larger wheel openings than 79-86 and obviously bigger than the Fairmont's openings were. I ran 25.5" tires on it and had minimal clearance issues; but perhaps a drag race application (28"?), you will want to take note of how far the LCA's are moved forward. They do this to improve caster among other things. Also the LCA pickup points are a little wider similar to the V8 87-93's which is no problem on a 87-93 but can cause issues on cars like the original foxes. I had barely 1/2" clearance between fender and tire, actually had to slot out the strut mount holes and do some other "adjusting" to get some camber, so that the tires had some clearance. It looked and worked fine for street duty. If using the V8 style wider LCA pickup points, such as most of the aftermarket K's use, you will want to certainly take note of your spindle choice since the 96-04 spindles move the wheels out a little wider than the 94-95. This applies if you are going to (or already have) 5 lug obviously. You can kinda get yourself into a pickle if not careful (BTDT). I think I put about 50,000 miles on that turd. One of the few cars I actually kinda miss.

PA looks nice but I have no direct experience with them.

I've used Granatelli and I have them (K and lca's) on another car (86 coupe drag car) and the quality was sub par. Lightweight but real cheesy. Nothing lined up either. Had to cut the mounts off and run motor plates which is fine because of the car's application. The plates are easier to deal with (to me) anyway since I'm used to them.
Did you wear your fingers to nubs on the keyboard? LOL! Excellent reply and thanks.
QA1 redesigned their K member recently. The A arm mounting points are adjustable as well as the rack mounting point. It's beefier all the way around and the motor mount brackets are bolt on so one can do engine swaps by just bolting on a different mounting bracket. I'm anxious to try it as I've never ran a tubular front end.
I remember the condition of the roads in Upstate NY and the potholes were like the Grand Canyon. The worst part is the high center crown that pushes the car towards the ditch on either side. It's a wonder I didn't kill myself as a kid while racing around on those roads.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have used PA Racing, AJE, MM, and QA1. The PA Racing one developed cracks at numerous welds in less than 6 months of daily driving. The AJE piece was nice but the A arms were crap. A ball joint snapped off one of the A arms in less than 24 hours after installation. MM's is by far the most stout and was awesome on the road. I had no complaints running this unit. It held up incredibly well when I wadded the car up at 100+ mph. My new car is setup for drag racing only and I am running a QA1 K and so far it has been solid. I didn't feel the need to have the extra support or weight as I am not driving it on the road anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts