Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to pick out a cam for my 94cobra. I just bought a NOS 5115 kit and want something to work well with it but at the same time be a good street cam. Everything is pretty much stock, have pullies, 3.55 gears.(maybe a C&L 76mm dont know havent heard back from the guy) Id like to have a little lope. I know I will have to give up some driveability, but still want it streetable. Ive heard good things about the steeda #19. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The #19 is great cam. I put a E cam in a 94 Cobra (stock except for 3.55s) for a guy and man did that thing come alive, it had a very nice top end pull and was a tad stronger down low, only down side is that it doesn't want to idle very well, people aren't lying when they say the 94-95 Cobra's don't like to be cammed. I run the TFS Stage 1 in my GT and I love it, no idle issues, pulls very, very well to the top of the tach and you can def. tell there is a little something there.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have a GT put I like the #19 cam, Never gave me a problem. I also use the 5115 kit. had it for over 5 years now. Only 2 years on this car though.

I looked into teh stage 1 cam also, but just wasnt sure if there would be any isdle /surgings issues with it so I didnt get it. It had a little more lift also and I have 1.7 rockers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys I heard you can bump your idle rpm up a little and it will fix the surging and idle issues. Is there any way to bump the idle up with out buying a tweecer or a simular unit. Twotonefreak do think I would get better horse power from the Ecam or the stage 1.

thanks Dan

·
Registered
165 Posts
I love mine, but yes it does have some slight surging issues when trying to cruise below 1700rpms in 5th gear around town. The more I drive the car, the better the surging has gotten, I haven't even driven it for a solid month yet, and it gets better everyday. I still have some cold start problems when it is has gotten really cold, i.e 18-20 deg. at night, only one times has it actually died while warming up, usually just fluctuates between 500- 1500 for about 5 minutes and then it idles right at 800-850.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have set the idle numerous times, 1200, 1300, 1000, and it is best with the idle at 800-900 where it is now. At 1200 it was horrible about surging and with the low idle, it is great.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't know which one would be best. I like the stage 1 better simply b/c it has a lot better idle qualities than the E cam, but then again mine isn't a Cobra, just a GT. They are very close. I am going to drill a hole in the throttle body plate on the Cobra I put that cam in and see if that fixes his idle problems, I am pretty sure it will. With my mods in my sig, minus the 1.6s (I also had tweaked pushrods and trashed valve spring, found that last week) when I raced the Cobra I put the E cam in from a 40mph roll I held a car lead on him until I shifted to 5th, he was just shifting to 4th (I have a 4cyl T-5) and ended up with him having a car on me when I hit the rev limiter in 5th!

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can adjust the idle with the set screw on the T-body by using a pair of needle nose pliers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Crane 2031, Steeda #19 just to name a couple.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I havent heard much about the Crane 2031. I know the #19 was designed for our surge and idle problems, is the crane also designed to work with our cars to. yellow5.Slow how do you like the Crane. thanks twotonefreak

·
Registered
165 Posts
No problem. The 2031 is also a very good cam, but I have no idea how it will effect the idle and or surging.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It idles like a charm set about 800 rpms at idle. at first had a problem but the iAC and TPS were messed up on it. Cam pulls good throughout the rpm range. it sounds great also!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts