Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
6,307 Posts
How do I start troubleshooting this issue?
Post on the coral, because that's where I check. :)
I guess, also WELCOME to the Corral! :)

And, please post questions and replies with at least the ability of a 6th grader.
So, use caps, use periods, don;t use texting BS, in short - don't be a lazy *ss. :) I don't get paid, or anything for helping. I, and others, have better things to do than try to decipher the cr*p that many people post.

I assume you've seen my old Mustang airbag web page:
Mustang 1992 Air Bag Diagnostic Codes

Yea, could use updating. Still, plenty of info. :)

· Registered
6,307 Posts
I recently purchased a 92 5.0 and the air bag stays lit, no flashing. How do I start troubleshooting this issue?
It sounds like the Air Bag Diagnostic Controller (blue box under the dash) is dead, removed, or disconnected.

First, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!!

Second: DISCONNECT THE AIR BAG!!

Third: Go looking for the Air Bag Diagnostic Controller.

Forth: See if the Air Bag Diagnostic Controller is present and if it's plugged in to the connectors.

Fifth: double check all fuses.

Sixth: If I don't reply in 3 days, do a "bump" on the thread (post "bump" to bump it back up).

Seventh: Say anything bad about the Ford Gen1&2 Air bag systems, and get ready for a sh*t storm from me. :) Yea, they don't detect side impacts. But, they are very reliable and they are VERY safe.

Fyi:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/images/airBagPartsLoc91.jpg
(Note, your car does not have the "backup power supply" -- cough, cough - "backup battery".)

Good Luck!

· Registered
6,307 Posts
Note: FOR ANY ****** THAT IS TEMPTED TO TELL THE OP, "JUST DISCONNECT THE AIR BAG"
****** OFF!!!!

Note that posting such advice in this thread (unless explicitly asked for by the OP) will be CONSTRUED AS AN ATTEMPT TO START A FLAME WAR, and THE POST WILL BE REPORTED AS SUCH!

The OP did NOT ask how to disconnect or disable the air bag. Not everyone is an idiot and scared of thunder because they don't understand it and so it must come from the big bad bogey man. LMAO!

IF the OP want's to do that, then BFD. I can't stop all people from doing STUPID things - like drinking and driving, texting and driving, disconnection air bag and ABS systems because "they do magic stuff that I'm not smart enough to understand, so it must be bad", etc.

· Registered
1,755 Posts
«1992 Mustang Service Manual Table of Contents»
«Group 01: BODY»
«Section 01-20B: Restraints, Passive--Supplemental Air Bag System»
«DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING»

PINPOINT TEST B: FAULT INDICATION--AIR BAG INDICATOR REMAINS LIT CONTINUOUSLY--PROBABLE FAULT--DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR DISCONNECTED OR INOPERATIVE

B1: DEACTIVATE SYSTEM
B2: VERIFY INOPERATIVE DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR

B1 DEACTIVATE SYSTEM

l Deactivate system.

l Check diagnostic monitor for proper connection to vehicle wiring harness.

l Is diagnostic monitor properly connected?

Yes
GO to «B2».

No
CONNECT diagnostic monitor. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system.

B2 VERIFY INOPERATIVE DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR

l Disconnect diagnostic monitor.

l Remove red locking wedge from between pins of gray diagnostic monitor connector.

l Turn ignition switch from OFF to RUN.

l Is air bag indicator lit continuously?

Yes
TURN ignition switch to OFF. LOCATE and SERVICE short to ground in Circuit 608 (BK/Y). RE-INSERT red locking wedge into gray diagnostic monitor connector. RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system.

No
RE-INSERT red locking wedge into gray diagnostic monitor connector. REPLACE diagnostic monitor. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system.

«1992 Mustang Service Manual Table of Contents»
«Group 01: BODY»
«Section 01-20B: Restraints, Passive--Supplemental Air Bag System»
«SERVICE PRECAUTIONS»

General Instructions

l AIR BAG MODULES WITH DISCOLORED OR DAMAGED COVER DEPLOYMENT DOORS MUST BE REPLACED, NOT REPAINTED.

l BECAUSE OF THE CRITICAL OPERATING REQUIREMENTS OF THE SYSTEM, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SERVICE SENSORS, CLOCKSPRING, MONITOR, BACKUP POWER SUPPLY OR AIR BAG MODULE. SERVICE IS MADE BY REPLACEMENT ONLY.

l IF EVER A PART IS REPLACED AND THE NEW PART DID NOT CORRECT THE CONDITION, REINSTALL THE ORIGINAL PART AND PERFORM THE DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE AGAIN.

l NEVER PROBE THE CONNECTORS ON THE AIR BAG. DOING SO MAY RESULT IN AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT WHICH COULD RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.

l ALL COMPONENT REPLACEMENTS AND WIRING SERVICE MUST BE MADE WITH THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE DISCONNECTED FOR A MINIMUM OF ONE MINUTE BEFORE SERVICE OR REPLACEMENT IS ATTEMPTED.

l THE INSTRUCTIONS "DISCONNECT" ALWAYS REFERS TO A CONNECTOR. NEVER DETACH A COMPONENT FROM THE VEHICLE WHEN INSTRUCTED TO "DISCONNECT".

VEHICLE SENSOR ORIENTATION IS CRITICAL FOR PROPER SYSTEM OPERATION. IF A VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH AN AIR BAG SYSTEM IS INVOLVED IN A CRASH WHERE THE FENDERS OR GRILLE AREA HAVE BEEN DAMAGED, INSPECT THE SENSOR MOUNTING BRACKETS FOR DEFORMATION. IF DAMAGED, THE SENSOR SHOULD BE REPLACED WHETHER OR NOT THE AIR BAG IS DEPLOYED. IN ADDITION, ENSURE THAT BODY STRUCTURE IN THE AREA OF SENSOR MOUNTING IS RESTORED TO ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION.

To Deactivate System:

1. Disconnect positive battery cable.

2. Remove four nut and washer assemblies retaining driver air bag to steering wheel.

3. Disconnect driver air bag connector.

4. Attach Rotunda Air Bag Simulator 105-00008 or equivalent on clockspring to simulate the air bag. [Note there is a connector about midway down the steering column that the Simulator can plug into if you do not want to remove the Air Bag, assumes clockspring is not the problem.]

5. Connect positive battery cable.

To Reactivate System:

1. Disconnect positive battery cable.

2. Remove Rotunda Air Bag Simulator tool from air bag terminals on clockspring assembly, if connected.

3. Reconnect driver air bag module connector.

4. Position driver air bag module on steering wheel and secure with four nut and washer assemblies (10mm). Tighten nut and washer assemblies to 2.7-3.7 N-m (24-33 lb-in).

5. Connect positive battery cable.

6. Verify air bag indicator.

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Every foxbody airbag module I have seen has leaking capacitors.

I spent a long time diagnosing before I found the issue. I think I had several codes along the way 5-3, 5-2 and 3-something. I was 99% convinced it was the clock spring before I discovered the power supply issue in the module.

I have rebuilt 3 modules for the fun of it.

· Registered
1,755 Posts
Every foxbody airbag module I have seen has leaking capacitors.

I spent a long time diagnosing before I found the issue. I think I had several codes along the way 5-3, 5-2 and 3-something. I was 99% convinced it was the clock spring before I discovered the power supply issue in the module.

I have rebuilt 3 modules for the fun of it.

I have had similar "aged component" failures within the Diagnostic Modules. The components are at their End-Of-Life. I used NOS modules and they worked fine so it does not seem to be a component "shelf life" issue.

If you can rebuilt them you may have a business opportunity there.

· Registered
80 Posts
I second this. If you could fix airbag modules reasonably I would gladly send you mine. It's driving me crazy....

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Having power applied to the module for 20 + years definitely takes it toll on the capacitors. The ones I've seen seem to suffer from the "Black Death" on the board.

Even when the caps aren't leaking, there seems to be some contamination on the boards that has become corrosive with time. Most likely due to the washing process of the PCB.

There are a lot of caps on the board, I was able to get them all from Digi-Key. The big 2200 caps can be kind of hard because the negative side is connected to a large ground plane and takes a fair bit of heat to clean up.

out of 5, I have 2 good ones. I could make another one work but it became too much work with repairing the traces.

It's fun, but I wouldn't want to make a living out of it!

:)

Attachments

· Registered
1 Posts
Having power applied to the module for 20 + years definitely takes it toll on the capacitors. The ones I've seen seem to suffer from the "Black Death" on the board.

Even when the caps aren't leaking, there seems to be some contamination on the boards that has become corrosive with time. Most likely due to the washing process of the PCB.

There are a lot of caps on the board, I was able to get them all from Digi-Key. The big 2200 caps can be kind of hard because the negative side is connected to a large ground plane and takes a fair bit of heat to clean up.

out of 5, I have 2 good ones. I could make another one work but it became too much work with repairing the traces.

Hi mate,

I'm in the process of repairing the Airbag module myself, but wanted to make sure that I'm buying the correct parts - you don't wanna mess about with an airbag module too much!

Would it be possible for you to let me know what is the exact part number or full spec of the capacitors you used to replace the OEM ones?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
4 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I need some help with a diagnostic module. Enjoy the ride could you email me at [email protected]

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a 93 and installed a junk yard module that has it fixed but I also have a couple I’d like someone to overhaul , my question is , the 92-93 doesn’t have the separate backup battery, so are they just using the large capacitors as the backup power supply ??

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Ok well that does make sense. Would you consider rebuilding one of mine ?
Sorry, I can't.
I just don't have the time.

Edited to add: I also found when people disconnect the sensors while the battery is connected it will blow the thermal resistor (see attached pic) inside this module, parts aren't available and you have to find parts that are close in value.

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Engineering

1 - 19 of 19 Posts