Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Mustang LX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any hard proof of what an “out of the box” Trickflow R Box flows or even just the lower manifold? I seen one person say the box maybe flows around 300cfm but that was a guess. I can’t find any articles or actual tests done on them, which seams stupid to me as I would think alot of people would want to know this.

And does anyone have a ported one and what it flows?

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Talked to Brain Tooley some 18yrs ago about porting my 351W TFR intake to match my TEA heads(305cfm). He laughed said he could "get 300 with sandpaper." So I was guessing like High 200s stock. That was the R, but not the box. "If" I remember correctly, he said like 330cfm ported.

·
Registered
92 Mustang LX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you ever have it ported?

I’m more interested in the lower because the upper already has 2.380x1.380 ports and looks like it can’t be opened much more than that.

·
Old timer
6,412 Posts
Why?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'd be curious to know if anyone has flow # on the R series lower and box upper also

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I have never used the box upper, but the R model lower has quite large runners, especially at the mounting flange. I have never seen a lower with larger runners. I am not sure where it would benefit from being opened up more, no real restrictions in the lower, good line of sight to the valves.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have never used the box upper, but the R model lower has quite large runners, especially at the mounting flange. I have never seen a lower with larger runners. I am not sure where it would benefit from being opened up more, no real restrictions in the lower, good line of sight to the valves.
That's my impression as well!

·
Old timer
6,412 Posts
The lower is not the problem...

The Box R's adapter fitment is crap and the long runner R upper is a POS at the transition from the plenum to the runners.

·
USAF retired
9,585 Posts
The Box R's adapter fitment is crap and the long runner R upper is a POS at the transition from the plenum to the runners.
Mine needed work on it.
The long runner upper while it "works", is not what it could be. The stock intake "works" too, but that's often the first thing swapped out.

TFS-R long runner plenum:

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Reactions: tmoss

·
USAF retired
9,585 Posts
This is the halfway between the plenum, and the turn down to the lower, it's smaller than the outlet to the heads.
Car Grille Hood Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
92 Mustang LX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
92 Mustang LX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
92 Mustang LX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Old timer
6,412 Posts
Why not?
I’m just curious to know.
Because flowing the lower means nothing. Matter of fact, flowing an intake alone is not anything to base an opinion on but people seem to love to look at meaningless "numbers".....

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
Because flowing the lower means nothing. Matter of fact, flowing an intake alone is not anything to base an opinion on but people seem to love to look at meaningless "numbers".....
So true, Ed. We've published numbers because we have always felt sharing what we find on the bench may be helpful, BUT I'll use just two cases we ported intakes for that happen to be the RPM1. We flow tested the first when done at 277 cfm and it went on to make 847hp/681tq in a 331 blower app with a Glide and custom cam that ran 8.80s @ 156mph so we kept the cross section at what we felt was appropriate for the combination and the second we flow tested at 313 cfm that made 858hp/725tq in a 347 blower app with a 3550 trans and custom cam but never got track data on. So, equal HP but one had more torque - If you've been in the game long enough, you probably know why they both made equal HP with a 36 cfm flow difference in the intakes. I wish we had track data on the second, but that's the way things go some times
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

Rectangle Font Line Material property Screenshot

·
Premium Member
282 Posts

·
Old timer
6,412 Posts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts