Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the advertisement for these two intakes...Trick Flow states that the Street intake is good from idle-5500rpm, while the Track is good from 1500-6000 or so...last night I was chillin readin' a Mustang mag and they did a dyno test on 'Stang that had a blower and some other stuff. They dyno tested tons of intakes, but these are the two that I was interested in because I'm trying to decide which one to buy. In the dyno test though..the Street intake beat the track intake by like 2hp and 4 ft lbs. WTF??

Could someone shine a little light on this for me?

I thought I was going to buy the Track intake..but now I'm leanin towrds the cheaper Street intake.

Any opinions???

·
Registered
888 Posts
FWIW- When I was running NA'd, I swapped from a Street upper to a Track upper and swapped my 3.73's for 4.10's, these were the only changes to the car and the next time at the track I dropped a solid 7 tenths off my previous best. My 60' times were comparable. Not sure which change would equate to what amount of drop in my times but the two together netted me 7 tenths and a few MPH in the 1/4.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow....what kind of combo were your running??

i already have 3.73, 65mm TB, FMS shorties, and o/r h-pipe, flows dumped after axle, and pullies.

I will soon be getting gt-40P heads, 24lb injectors, 190lph fuel pump, and either Trick Flow Track or Street Intake...all on a SD setup:D

I just want to know if the Track intake is really worth the extra $80 or so dollars.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Combo was as follows : Pro-M 77 (24#'s), FMS 65mm T-body, TFS Track heat intake, 6037's milled to 53cc's, Stock cam, stock 140k short block, BBK L/T's, O/R X-Pipe, Flowmaster catback, 4.10's, ET Streets and a bunch of little stuff.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Are you GT40Ps ported? If not you really should think about a different intake. You really don't want to have your intake ports larger than your head ports. The Cobra intake would be a much better match to what you have IMO.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I agree with 86Cobra, unless you plan on having the intake ports matched up with the TFS intake you will end-up with a SEVERE port mis-match. Even on my 6037's, the TFS lower ports were quite a bit larger. If you don't plan on port matching the GT-40's, a Cobra would suit your combo much better.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I agree on that also. The TFS lower's ports are quite big and you'll need some work to get them to match up to the GT-40p intake openings. Even on my TFS TW heads the lower was slightly larger than the head opening! I just had my TWs fully ported over the winter and now they fit together awesome.

The Cobra or GT-40 may be a much better choice for your combo. If you don;t mind doing the extra work to get the port alignment matched up, then one of the TFS intakes could be right up your alley. Both the TFS intakes will outflow the Cobra/GT-40 out of the box.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the GT-40p's I'm getting aren't ported....once I get them I'm going to clean em up a little, but no major porting. Would the minor clean up be suitable for the Trick Flow Street Intake?? Or should I stick w/ the Cobra or gt-40??

If I do go with one of the FMS intakes...I would like to get the gt-40..what do you think about that intake??

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You need a serious port job to open up GT40s to the size of a TFS lower.

The GT40 looks better than the Cobra. Weighs a little less. But, it costs a lot more ($200 + EGR spacer) and doesn't make any more power.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what about the Edelbrock intakes???

ok..here's a dumb question....what happens when you get port mis-match??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey, am planning on doing a similar set up, had decided on the Track heat intake... Anyone able to answer the orignal question?? I am planning on getting everything ported. I was originally just going to take in the heads and headers alone, but am thinking I should take the intake in so they can be matched.... Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Thanks

Amanda

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If you plan to stay N/A the Street would be plenty...if you plan on getting forced induction then maybe the Track would be better suited. just my .02

·
Registered
5 Posts
Both the Gt-40P heads and the Track heat intake use a Felpro 1250 gasket and they seem to line up perfectly on my setup.

I don't have the TH intake installed yet but I bolted it to the one of the heads off the car and they lined up great. There is no porting done to the heads or anything.

I did the same thing when I got the Cobra intake and the ports on the intake were way smaller than the Gt-40P intake ports.

I am switching from a Cobra to the Track heat for some more top end.

You can always add a spacer to the Track heat to get it closer to the Street heat runner length.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Badstang_88 said:
Both the Gt-40P heads and the Track heat intake use a Felpro 1250 gasket and they seem to line up perfectly on my setup.

I don't have the TH intake installed yet but I bolted it to the one of the heads off the car and they lined up great. There is no porting done to the heads or anything.

I did the same thing when I got the Cobra intake and the ports on the intake were way smaller than the Gt-40P intake ports.

I am switching from a Cobra to the Track heat for some more top end.

You can always add a spacer to the Track heat to get it closer to the Street heat runner length.
thats what i wanted to do...was use the Street Heat along with the spacer. But I don't want to do it if the intake ports are all outta whack and will do more harm than good.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I've never seen an unported GT40 head that matched a 1250.

The Track Heat runners are 12" vs 15" for the Street. I wouldn't use a spacer on either one, especially the Street as the runners are already pretty long.

Sinner 88, get a Fel Pro 1250 intake manifold gasket and see how your head ports match up to it. The TFS lower are ever so slightly larger than a 1250.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
86Cobra said:
I've never seen an unported GT40 head that matched a 1250.

The Track Heat runners are 12" vs 15" for the Street. I wouldn't use a spacer on either one, especially the Street as the runners are already pretty long.

Sinner 88, get a Fel Pro 1250 intake manifold gasket and see how your head ports match up to it. The TFS lower are ever so slightly larger than a 1250.
how long are the runners on a stock intake??

i heard that if you run a intake spacer that it builds a couple horses because it leans it out. right?? i have a SD car and when i put the 24lb'ers in, it will run rich, so to lean it out i'm gonna try an intake spacer along with a regulator.

As for the intake runners on thr Track Heat intake being larger than the gasket...will it create turbulance or something?? Like I said, I'm looking to build power with a good power band. I like the looks of the trick flow..but i wants results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts