Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a deal on a Trick Flow R (75mm) intake manifold. Is there any difference on the install of that as compared to like a Cobra intake? I have installed a Cobra intake before, a couple of times, and it was easy. I've also installed a stock intake (when doing repairs on a friend's car). Is there ANY difference between the installs? Any recommendations on gaskets? I will be using ARP bolts.

I'm very curious to see what I gain on my setup from switching from an Explorer intake to the Trick Flow R setup. The Trick Flow R is designed for the 2500-7250 RPM range. Right now I am getting into boost right around 2500, so it should be good. Now, with my current setup, there is no way I can get to 7250 RPM, but when I blow the current engine up and go with a new longblock, I can reuse the intake.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Actually the TFS is easier than the Cobra intake to install :).

It comes with studs for the upper to lower union which makes the install that much easier.

Here's a Cobra Upper vs your R intake :evil:

Shawn

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I didn't show it in the pic but I eliminated the vacuum hose that goes over to the plenum side. It seemed redundant to me.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Anaconda said:
Can you explain? You just ran a hose to each end?
Well the 'T' that goes to the PCV - I left it on the Cobra intake. I just ran a hose from the barb under the intake right to the PCV valve. I was having to re-build all of the lines longer since I was building a 351.

The TFS 351w intake uses the R upper. I wonder if the R on the 302 is as tall as the intake was on my 351w.

Look at the upper relative to the fenders... or even the distributor :)

Shawn

·
Registered
438 Posts
i am too thinking of switchin to the r only because i want to run the new 3 piece intake but i have heard of fuel rail clearance issues maybe it will just be time to upgrade rails ?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Shawn95GTRag said:
I didn't show it in the pic but I eliminated the vacuum hose that goes over to the plenum side. It seemed redundant to me.

Shawn
Never thought of that...why does it need 2 vacuum lines to the upper from the pcv? I have added a fuel filter inline from the pcv, maybe I'll block off the plenum and get rid of the T too.

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
Shouldn't have any clearance issues with the rails. I don't use an intake spacer and my stock rails fit fine and now my bigger MMP rails fit just fine as well.....the reason I don't have a spacer is b/c I still have a stock hood.

Troy

·
3,478 Posts
Muscle Motorsport Performance....but the rails look like everyone elses..Steeda, UPR...anodized blue like all the others. I'm about to change to the Behind Bars Racing rails...much much better.

Troy

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Never heard of Behind Bars....
I have heard good things about the Pro-M rails though.
What makes the Behind Bars rails better?

·
3,478 Posts
All the R/S and P/S guys are the the BBR rails. They are about the same as the Pro-M rails with the bend at the end to miss the distributor. The BBR rails are a tad bigger and polished finish.

Troy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts