Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Cobra & just broke my tranny;was thinking of going with a TKO trans.Iknow you have to use a different clutch& bellhousing but what other mods will I have to do?(driveshaft,etc)Any help aprreciated.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The flywheel and pressure plate are the same. The clutch disk is different because it requires a 26 spline hub. Transmission length is the same, so the driveshaft will work. 26 spline yoke is included. The TKO comes with a factory shifter, but if you want an aftermarket shifter it's different. You'll also need a different crossmember. HPMotorsports makes one at a reasonable cos, I think less than $75.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You'll need a new bellhousing, fox shift fork, and a 26 spline clutch disk. My stock crossmember fit OK with a little prying (you can also flip the crossmember around if you need to), but some of them just don't work. The new bellhousing will be 3/4" shorter than your old one, so your driveshaft will be 3/4" too short. There is some debate about whether this is a problem or not. I called D&D and was told not to worry about it, and others swear it will explode. You can get a driveshaft spacer from UPR if you're worried about it.

Be ready for the TKO to be notchy and noisy! Mine has whined in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and rattled in 5th since day one. It's not too bad with the stock shifter (rubber bushing in it), but the aftermarket shifters really bring out the noise. At first, the shifts were hard and notchy, but it has been getting better. My TKO didn't seem to break in very quickly with the synchromesh in it. It was notchy after 5000 miles. A few full throttle power shifts at the track seem to have loosened it up nicely though. Shifts great now!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tremec

Thanks for the replys guys.Really helps alot.I just recently bought an aluminum driveshaft so I think I will try to get the spacer just to be on the safe side.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts