Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyon tell me if the install on this trans into the FOX body is the same as the 3550? Is this transmission case the same desing.?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would say no, The install is just like putting your T-5 back in only bigger and heavier. Just relocate the cross member back further or buy the hpm crossmember and bolt it in. The speedo cable needs changed also.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i would say the transmission case is different.. here is what i know

To install a t56 into a 79-93 you will need : Ford T56 transmission,T56 crossmember , shorter driveshaft with 31t yoke and a longer speedo cable. look onto www.ddperformance.com they will help you if you call them and inquire about it. i hope this helps... oh btw there number is: (248) 735-6220. take care.
-troy

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have installed a T56 tranny into my Fox body mustang. The T56 is longer than the T5 so the cross member tabs need to be set back. We fabricated a set of brackets and welded them behind the rear most tabs. The stock rear tabs became the front tabs for the new fitment. I also purchased a transmission mount for the T56 and adjustable cross member as well and it bolted up just fine. I ordered the driveshaft from DDperformance and a longer speedometer cable which is also necessary for the swap.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The T56 is a longer transmission and has its own bellhousing. I just finished a Tremec Group Purchase here on the Corral. I can help you out with everything you need to do the swap if you are interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts