Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how far you have to move the crossmember back for my new Tremec 3550. I know you have to grind the welds off of the crossmember and slide it back. If you slide it back all the way and weld it, is that too much. Let me know. I don't feel like putting it in and out to mock up where to weld it. Thanks, Bill [email protected]

·
Registered
931 Posts
You might want to put the trans in with the crossmemer and tack weld it where you need it while it's in place or mark it and you can put the jack under the trans to hold it up while you pull the cm to do a better welding job. It might not always be the same from one car to the next. Just a thought. I'll be doing this on my car pretty soon too and that's how I'd planned to do it.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Pretty much ALL the way back is where it has to go. Your bolts will still be at the back of the slots even with that.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Yup, ALL the way back - and even then it hit the case. I was extremely dumb though - I bought a new piece from Ford, and drove it to a muffler shop to have it welded after installing the tranny. That wasn't dumb though - realizing that the cross-member for my original AOD was already properly set-up for a Tremec - that was dumb!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also had to slide mine all the way back before it would work. However...the front of the crossmember still rubbed on the rear of the tranny. Ended up having to cut, notch, and refabricate the front portion of the crossmember......my brother did a great job, though, and you can't tell it didn't come that way:) .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts