Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - ⚡Cougar7.0⚡
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 3550 and now a TKO500 in my Cougar. Both had a bad backup switch that I had to replace. I can't be the only person who has had an issue with this switch (Google agrees). As a public service (and in case I lose the info), I'm posting alternate P/N's that can be found at ordinary auto parts stores.

3550/TKO500/TKO600 backup switch P/Ns:

Echlin

NS6579 & NS6579SB

Autozone cross:

F401
alternate P/N: (3900)

pigtail: 614 (note this switch has a different connector than the Tremec part.)

Switch is $10 - $13 depending on your price zone at Autozone. Pigtail is $18.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow! I was looking for this, can't believe I found a post this new on the subject. Do you know about the neutral/safety swithch?

·
Registered
493 Posts
oh my!finally im not crazy like everyone says i am when i tell them im on my 3rd backuplight switch!everyone tells me they have never had a problem,thanks for the info.is the pigtail required for either of those part# you listed?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh my!finally im not crazy like everyone says i am when i tell them im on my 3rd backuplight switch!everyone tells me they have never had a problem,thanks for the info.is the pigtail required for either of those part# you listed?
Yep, I've had 2 Tremecs and both had bad backup switches.

I soldered on little pin sockets to fit over the .08" pins in the new switch. But if you can't do that it might be easier to buy the pigtail - it does cost more than the switch though - lol.

·
Registered
493 Posts
is that the autozone# for the pigtail?i cant find it when i search their site.do you know what vehicle this switch and pigtail are supposed to fit?btw,it looks like the switch has a lifetime warranty on autozones site.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
is that the autozone# for the pigtail?i cant find it when i search their site.do you know what vehicle this switch and pigtail are supposed to fit?btw,it looks like the switch has a lifetime warranty on autozones site.
Yeah, it's weird - if you look up the part online at Autozone it mentions the #614 pigtail, but if you search for that online - nothing. I asked about it in the store and it comes up there - that's where I saw the $18 price and it was a special order. I wasn't able to find out the vehicle application for the switch. I wonder if a place like Rock Auto lets you look up by P/N? Perhaps somebody can find the vehicle it's from. I know it works - already installed. ;)

Edit: found this at Rock Auto:

Airtex/Wells P/N 1S5266 Category: Back Up Lamp Switch

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 12336287, 1F2117640, 88923557, C9TZ11520C, C9TZ15520C, F401, ZZL017640A

If you search on alternate P/N's you'll find more possible parts to choose from. Still doesn't trace to vehicle though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
well,i searched for the standard motor products part#ls-200 on thier site and it came up with a list of vehicles
areostar,bronco,bronco 2,e series van,f-series pickup,freestar,freestyle,ranger,thunderbird(i looked it up for a 1990 t-bird supercoupe and it gave me this switch for shure),mazda navajo,pickup,mercury cougear.

im just going to go to the u-pull and get a pigtail,they will charge like $5 max

·
Registered
493 Posts
put this in today,i bought the switch from autozone as the original poster suggested for $10 with lifetime warranty,then just went to the j-yard and got the pigtail from a 80s-90s f150 stick shift,these were the easiest to get the connector as most of them the trans was gone,and they have a very large metal plate that everybody that took the trans had unbolted,so it was very easy to get to the connector and cut it off without getting under the vehicle.work great,wish i knew about this a long time ago.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Ditto! Just did as the origional poster stated as well (big thanks!). I also just clipped a plug & wire out of an early 90's stick shift F150....;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
i did this back in april,and it has outlasted any of the original tremac switchs,still working great,glad i found this post.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Ive diagnosed my backup light switch as bad too; and i have a Tremec 3550.

I jumper the two wires on the harness, and the lights come on. I then did a ohms test on the switch when out of reverse and got "open loop". Here comes the weird part:I put the shifter in reverse, and get resistance with the ohms test! My only conclusion is that the resistance is too high and can not allow the battery voltage through or my harness plug is bad.

I then played with the plug to try and create a better connection, and still they dont work. I now must either replace the switch, or the harness and go from there.

I think Ill replace both now.

Awesome thread, and perfect timing!

PS: does anyone have a part number for an OE Tremec switch?

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks

this post was a great help with all the part numbers. my reverse lights stopped working on my 95 w/ a tko 600 and I was dreading having to chase down a broken wire, luckily it was just this stupid tremec switch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts