Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tremec 3550 in my 93, it will shift ok if you shift REAL nice and slow. If you try to quick shift or bang gears at all and it just refuses to go in. I dont know why its sooo damn hard to get it into gears, 3rd is the worst it seems like. Im going to change the fluid soon, what should I use? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Skyler

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
how strong are you? it is a dump truck trans.......:D it will also get smooth with age. definitely use a pro 5.0 shifter, and make sure you clutch is adjusted right. there's a reason I'm using a T5 again.........

·
Registered
222 Posts
you have to use gm synchromesh, Its about 3 bottles, if I remember well, Also you might want to adjust your clutch, I have heard others complain about the 3550, your not the first, mine wines when I decelerate, and at times its hard to find gears as well, They are built more heavy duty than the t5 thats for sure, but what about quality control, mine shipped from tremec and was stamped "made in mexico" makes you wonder why the high price then??

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I am having the same problem on my 1st to 2nd shift. When driving hard it wont go into 2nd(doesn't grind or anything, just wont go in). I just purchased the UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster so hopefully that will help.

BTW, I have used GM synchromesh since new.

·
Registered
268 Posts
if you just put it in then thats your problem.. when mine was the same way when i first put it in and i was like damn this thing.. it sucks... but after a few week it will start to smooth out with some usage

·
Registered
829 Posts
My tremec tko was tight and difficult to shift when new. It will loosen up with milage. And make sure you use GM synchromesh fluid. It makes a difference. Another thing I did to mine to help it shift better was to use the bottom half of the stock tremec shifter and the pro-5.0 stick on that. This combination makes mine feel and shift easy like a T-5. I haven't missed a shift since I switched the shifter to this setup. Good luck.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i'm using the alternate fluid listed in their instructions; quaker state dextron synthetic blend for 4x4's .its working pretty good

·
Registered
219 Posts
itsstock said:
you have to use gm synchromesh, Its about 3 bottles, if I remember well, Also you might want to adjust your clutch, I have heard others complain about the 3550, your not the first, mine wines when I decelerate, and at times its hard to find gears as well, They are built more heavy duty than the t5 thats for sure, but what about quality control, mine shipped from tremec and was stamped "made in mexico" makes you wonder why the high price then??
Ditto...
Not a smooth shifter when new..Tried to pop out of gear on decel ...shifts nicer than my old T-5 now....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well mine definatly isnt brand new, and it shifts like crap, I guess ill check the clutch adjustment and change the fluid and see what happens from there.

Thanks
Skyler

1 - 11 of 11 Posts