Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently pulled the Tremec 3550 from my 94 cobra and I am putting it into my 93 coupe. I am having some fitment problems though. The bottom of the xsmsn is hitting the xsmsn crossmember not allowing me to bolt it up. Am i supposed to move the mounts back or modify the crossmember? I really don't want to hack up the crossmember......am I overlooking a simple detail? Please help with any advice.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I took the t-5 out, put it in the cobra with no problems. The tremec mount sits too far back in the coupe and the bottom of the xsmsn is hitting the crossmember.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
well I know 94-95 t'5s have a longer input shaft and bell. So for it to fit in a 87-93 you have to shorten the driveshaft or get a 87-93 input shaft.

I am not sure if the tremec from your cobra is exactly the one they sell for fox bodies. Maybe the bell is different?

What is xsmsn?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xsmsn is transmission. I am a crewchief/mechanic on CH-46E helicopters and we refer to transmission as xsmsn. The t-5 and bell fit perfectly into the 94...I just used my 5/8" spacer for the driveshaft I had used with the tremec. Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
To get the tremec to work on the 93, you have to get an aod crossmember or move the welds for the crossmember back a couple of inches.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
What the actual modification is you need to remove the pinch welds on each side of the cross member where the busshings attatch. Once the welds are remover simply slide the cross member back to the needed location. It is suggested to re weld after it has been moved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts