Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm a long time viewer, first time poster. I've actually asked a similar question on another forum but can't seem to get a reply - hopefully someone here has a jewel of knowledge they'd like to share.

2001 V6

I was having trouble with erratic shifting and shifting into 4th/overdrive. I did a fluid flush, replaced all the gaskets in the valve body, replaced the trans filter and swapped out the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators. The shifting firmed up and drove smoother but the 4th/overdrive problem was still there.... I could get to 3rd gear but the only way to get into 4th/overdrive was to drop it into Neutral, let the RPM's drop, then put it back in Drive.

I picked up another valve body at a salvage yard (for $23) and did an overhaul on it. I checked for wear on the valve body, springs and valves, replaced all the gaskets, replaced the Overdrive servo, and even went as far as purchasing new TCC (Torque Converter Solenoid), EPC (Electronic Pressure Control solenoid), shift solenoid AND got a new MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor). I put it all back together, and now I've COMPLETELY lost 4th and once I get around 45-50 mph the trans slips into Neutral until I drop down to about 10 mph or turn O/D off on the shifter.

I know the Overdrive band can often go out, however I thought because I was able to get into 4th/overdrive on my previous setup that was not an issue.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm stumped. Thanks in advance for any help.

Nathan

·
Registered
151 Posts
You missed the band when you went to reinstall the new o/d servo. Did you replace the servo with the valvebody removed or installed?, with the valvebody removed, theres an area in the case where your to insert a sharp scribe or thin long punch, to keep the band from moving when the servo is removed, if you didnt do this, then the servo is not anchored to the band. If all other gears shift fine, than this is the most likely cause. Theres also still the possiblity the your o/d band is wearing out, before even replacing the valvebody. How did the bottom of the pan look when you 1st went to service it, was it burnt or black from clutch material

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply redkoa5.

When I replaced the O/D server the valve body was off. I looked in my Ford Workshop Manual and their procedure for the O/D servo removal and installation was almost quite literally "remove it, then put it back in", with no mention of inserting a punch for a retainer clip of any sort.

I also didn't see any location to insert one either. Would you happen to know where it would be, or if it's too late to anchor the band now that I've driven on it?

The fluid on the first service was pretty red, but still looked a little old. The car had been sitting for 3-4 years when I purchased it so I flushed every fluid in the car. (It only has about 49K miles) It didn't smell burnt either, and no excessive metal on the magnet in the pan.

Thanks again for the help.

Nathan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just saw this part of the 4R70W servo installation. He does in fact insert a long screwdriver into an existing hole to make sure the band is in position. My question is, if the band was in position when I removed the servo, wouldn't it stay put as I installed the new one? Lastly, if it's not in position, how would I rotate the trans so it was? Same as rotating the torque converter by placing a lever on the crank shaft?

Thanks again for the help, I'll get this eventually!! :rolleyes:

Complete 4R70W Transmission Assembly. - YouTube

·
Registered
151 Posts
Unfortunately NO, the band will not stay put when the servo is removed, with the srcrewdriver (or whatever tool is used) holding the band, it keeps it from moving away from the servo pin location. You would need to remove the valvebody and o/d servo again to try and reposition it from the area where the screwdriver is inserted. With the servo still out, and looking in that hole where the pin goes, guide/push/rotate the band towards the servo opening until you can see the other side of the band where the servo seats itself thru the opening, hold it in that position and reinstall the servo. Its not going to be easy I think, but it can be done. Rotating the engine will do nothing to help, use the servo opening to help move or get to the band. Hopefully you can get it to work, without actually removing the trans from the vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm happy it's a relatively easy fix however I'm not too thrilled about crawling under the car for another 4 hours to do it. >:p

I'm debating going to a transmission shop and asking if they'll do it for me and see how much they would charge. I'm sure it would take them an hour tops with a lift to put the car on.

Thanks again for the help, you've been a great help. I'll definitely let you know how it all turns out.

Nathan

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Like red has said...you missed the band.

Outside the band miss...if the issue still persists, I would have suggested the 3-4 shift valve in the first vb possibly sticky...never seen it, but could be.

get the band in place, call again, let us know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are amazing.

It took a few hours but sure enough, the O/D band was the issue. I thought it would be a more technical fix but honestly it couldn't have been easier. Makes me even more upset I missed it in the first place. She's driving great, holding O/D perfectly.

SilverFoxbody - I think you may be right on the stuck valve, but I won't know until I pull apart the original valve body later this week. Now that I have O/D back, the plan is to overhaul and upgrade the original valve body and some time in the new year, put it back in for a little more giddy-up in addition to an exhaust and intake upgrade.

You guys are a great help. Thanks again, you made my weekend!

Nathan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts