Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

I have a 94 GT Convertible. A few months ago, I was sitting at a stoplight and my AODE would not shift into gear when the light turned green. I had the car towed to my house and it's been sitting there ever since because I thought the transmission went dead on me. It had been stalling a little bit before going into gear before this all happened. The transmission fluid level was fine.

This is my question. A few weeks ago I cranked the car up and put it in drive. The car shifted into drive. I put it in reverse and it shifted in reverse. I drove it around the block 4 times with no problems. It seems o'kay, but when I shift it into gear from park or neutral, the RPMs drop for 3 or 4 seconds by about 500 and then go back to normal. It sounds kind of like the car is going to cut off for a second and then it goes into gear.

Is my transmission dead or could it be another problem? I thought that when the transmission goes, you can't shift it into gear at all. Please help me out. I would really appreciate it. Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
441 Posts
I blew out my AODE the third day I owned it (had 42000 miles). I was manually running thru the gears and when I got to third it reved up like I had it neutral. I got the thing rebuilt and ran great for a year.

Then I was driving one day and it started the same thing yours is, so I took it back and the guy told me the tranny was fine. I thought :bs:. He said it acted like it wasn't getting enough fuel. I told him I had just changed the fuel filter the year before. He says "I dunno".

I go home, thro another filter in, and guess what? That was the problem. So what I'm trying to say is start with the fuel system and then worry about the tranny later.

Good luck

-BC

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey,

Thanks for responding. I never even thought about it being the fuel filter. I am not even sure when I had it changed last. I will check into that. Does anybody have any other ideas about what the problem might be? Thanks...

Brian

·
Registered
145 Posts
Could be as elementary as, are you checking the fluid level while it's warm / hot ? If not you should be. Also if there is too much fluid that can also cause problems. The AODE family can be one of the best automatics out there if you build it right, just spend the money now instead of spending it over and over on rebuilds.

I just purchased a 4R70W that was supposed to go in a 2000 Explorer 5.0 for $750, brand new, and I'll be swapping EEC's and wiring that up behind my 5 liter.

-J

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice. anybody else have ideas?

brian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i noticed you guys were talking about trannys a lot lately, so i bumped my post up to see if i could get any more ideas. i've finally decided to borrow the $$$$ and get a new tranny if it's shot. i want to switch it out to a manual, but the wife is telling me i can't if it's going to cost me more to do that.

if i stick with an automatic, i want something better than stock. i want something that will handle a shift kit and a supercharger later on. any help???

bri

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes, go to tccoa.com and read the articles about the AODE family. Jerry is a (retired?) Ford Transmission engineer and knows his stuff about our trans. As far as improvments, here is what i've done. Art Carr 3000 stall and rebuilt AODE. Cost $800, this included all the needed fluid, rear main seal, COOLER and other nit-noids. Best $$$ spent. The converter works WONDERS. I bet i cut .5 off my times with the converter alone. Put a cooler on the car too! Heat kills out trannys. Buy the biggest one you can afford. This will ensure a long life w/your AODE. FWIW, a 5-speed conversion would cost you over $1200....
Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts